 LEGO Company / 83
Re: Mr. Justus!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego
Date:
Mon, 25 Sep 2000 20:08:08 GMT

Frank Filz wrote:

In lugnet.lego, Burkhard Schloemer writes:
Tim, I'm fully aware that shopping online doesn't necessarily mean low prices.
Especially not in case of LEGO. But: I can get almost EVERYTHING (except for
the bulk items, of course) at local stores, at the same price, sometimes
cheaper than at Shop@Home. Anyway, I don't feel an online-shop should sell at
retail price level. I just want a reason to buy at S@H.

There are MANY reasons for S@H to not undercut retail merchants. The world is
not yet ready for retail merchants to be replaced completely by on-line
ordering direct from the manufacturer. In the US, I can get 90% or more of
what is in the catalog from local stores. The exceptions are Scala and
Belville, train track, currently the hero sets (haven't seen them in a store
other than the Potomac Mills LEGO Outlet), and a handful of special sets.

Frank

Even in Germany they don't undercut the retail prices.  I went to the Goebel
Porzellanfabrik near Coburg (Factory where they make the world famous M.I. Hummel
figurines), and their factory store prices are at the German retail level.  When
USA shoppers go there they are shocked to find the prices are so high.  They are
told "we cannot undersell our retailers".  And LEGO will be no exception.

Gary Istok