 LEGO Company / 3061
Re: A Community Problem (Was: Re: 10152 Update)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego
Date:
Fri, 24 Dec 2004 15:47:02 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

In lugnet.lego, Kyle D. Jackson wrote:
In lugnet.lego, Ken Nagel wrote:
This is basic morality.I'm
with the "nay-sayers" because the company is on a destructive path and if
they go down so does the hobby I love.

And that, right there, probably best sums up why you are meeting with so
much disagreement.  You believe that without TLC, your hobby ends, despite the
collection of LEGO I assume you must already have, and despite a very
extensive after-market from which to buy more.  There is lots around to build
with, to look at, to buy.  Your view, to me, is not the mark of a genuine
hobbyist.  Maybe if you saw LEGO more from the hobbyist perspective, you
wouldn't be so uptight about TLC's activities, to the point where you've been
arguing ad-nauseum on this topic from flawed footing, and begun tossing barbs
at Mr. Koudys' reputation.  At first, you offered disagreement, which is fair
enough, but now you've crossed into disrespect.

KDJ
_____________
LUGNETer #203

rtlToronto has beed doing hobby shows for the past few years, and the Meccano
guys are there displaying their creations.  If anyone ever wants to see what
happens when the company providing their 'work material' for their chosen hobby
disappears, talk to the Meccano guys.  Pretty much we, as LEGO hobbyists, have
got it 'made in the shade'.  Can anyone here think of a single company that
provides hobby material to the masses that even has a 'liason' to the fan
community?  A single company that posts on a usergroup about things that may or
may not be 'coming down the pipe' and giving us, as fans, insight into how the
company works?

I can't think of any other company than TLC.

So I don't want TLC to disappear tomorrow, so I want what's best for the
company, as well as the hobbyist (me :) ).  I also don't want the fledging and
tenuous relationship between the AFOL's and TLC to become embittered because
it's our best and most direct way of getting things for the Adult community.
The colour issue was a legitimate one.  I personally thought it went far too
long but some people won't step down until they're good and ready, at the
expense of any goodwill and future relationships between the AFOL community and
TLC.

This one, however, shouldn't have even been a blip on the radar.  It's okay to
point out wrongdoings when something is wrong.  To point out perceived or
implied wrongdoings is ludicrous at best and, at the very worst, will close down
the avenue of communication between us and TLC.  This avenue of communication,
mind you that a few good people who have put extraordinary effort into creating
and maintaining.

This is fundamentally why I'm on the 'bad things happen when good people keep
their mouths shut' kick.  If the people who are putting in the effort don't
realize that their efforts are appreciated, why would they want to continue the
effort?  Why would they want to make things better?  I know from personal
experience in the volunteer field--i was involved Boy Scouts of Canada for 21
years.  The reason why I'm not is because it stopped being good.  Everyone had
an opinion and I couldn't do anything right--it seemed that someone had a
problem with anything I did.  Mind you, these people offering opinions never
showed up to do the work when needed, but they never seemed to have an issue
pointing out where I was wrong.  After years of this, I just stopped.  I am sure
that there were those that appreciated the efforts, but they didn't say
anything.

So I'm saying something.  I'm stating, for me and me alone, TLC, do what's best
for your market share.  Do what's best for your integrity,  Do what's best to
further the company as a whole for the years to come.

And if there are some people in the AFOL community that balk, just remember that
some of these people are the same people who thought that Bionicle was the "end
of civilization".

I'll continue to appreciate whay you have done for me and my hobby.

Dave K