 LEGO Company / 2940
Re: 10152 Update
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego
Date:
Mon, 20 Dec 2004 06:11:56 GMT

In lugnet.lego, Kelly McKiernan wrote:

<snip>

   Sorry, have to disagree. The set was run with existing color inventory, which was anticipated to be exhausted.

No, it was exhausted. They are mixing up more (at the expense of Maersk).

   If it were to be positioned as a collectible, it would’ve been positioned differently. More like the Sante Fe.

This has nothing to do with marketing per se. If it had never been mentioned that this was the end of the line for Maersk blue, there wouldn’t be an issue at all.

   If Maersk had not wanted more, and been willing to spend to get it, then this wouldn’t be an issue; from all accounts, LEGO didn’t intend to purchase that color of granules in the future. Again, I don’t see how Maersk’s decision at a later time makes LEGO liable.

It is TLC’s decision to accommodate Maersk, and, as I mentioned, I have no problem with that; in fact I welcome it. All I am trying to say is that TLC gave the impression that Maersk blue would no longer be available after it ran its course through the 10052 sets. That made the 10052 collectible, based on that assertion, and that assertion alone.

   What word? I don’t recall LEGO promising that, and I voted. If they did promise, then I’d assume ALL polls are contracts that they would abide by. I’d want to see all results tabulated, and be able to track how well they met their stated obligation.

Come on, Kelly, you are bending over backwards. Would you have even bothered to vote if you knew that TLC had no intention of following through with their plan? What sense would it make to hold a contest if they had no intention of following through with the results. It makes no sense.

No, this makes perfect sense to me. In fact, it’s one of my core belief sets. Just because a vote on LEGO.com might indicate AFOL preference once way or another, I’m certain that’s not the only factor that influences set production.

Perhaps you don’t recall the circumstances:

http://news.lugnet.com/lego/?n=2080

It seems pretty clear to me that TLC didn’t care which of the 2 choices they offered was the winner, but whichever was “elected”, that would be the one produced.

Now I grant that they are under no legal obligations to do anything, but that logic of such a campaign is totally lost upon me (assuming that they had no intention of following through and running with the winning color).

   Take it to an extreme: say I was the only one to vote. Poll results would have been 100% dark green. But I take that as no guarantee that this is the only factor in deciding that color. If the resulting set had come out in dark red instead, I’d be understandably curious - but I wouldn’t be upset with LEGO for not listening to me. My vote is only one factor of many, and doesn’t entitle me to any ownership in the final decision. I also have confidence that Jake would be able to get some sort of brief explanation, which is again not something I expect from many other companies.

But don’t you see-- they stated that they would produce the winning color. How is this not clear? It seems to me that they should make every effort to keep their word, if not for PR’s sake alone.

<snip>

   But they didn’t promise.

This is irrelevant in my view. It is about PR.

Not exactly sure how to respond to that...

Of course they didn’t “promise”. Who cares? They said that they were going to do something, made a big deal about it, and may not follow through. We didn’t ask them to hold the contest. Is it unreasonable to expect that they will do what they say they are going to do?

   Soapbox alert, not directed at any one person, so don’t take it personally, John... but I get terribly irritated when people (anyone) assumes that since somebody asks their opinion, that person (or company) is then obligated to follow the stated opinion. LEGO asking AFOL opinion on color (results of which I heard were virtually 50/50) was a favor to us,

??? Seems like providing input is more like US providing a favor TO THEM.

In many ways, sure. They definitely get a valuable amount of information from our exertion.

But this wasn’t data collection. It was, “Hey, we saw how popular the 10052 was but we’ve run out of Maersk blue ABS, and we’ve decided to produce the 10052 in an alternate color-- either dark blue or dark green. Your vote will decide which one it is. Go to LEGO.com and vote!” The fact is that it really didn’t matter which color was chosen, only that one actually was!

<snip>

   and not something a whole lot of companies would do. The way I took it, the poll was to help the decision-making process on future color for the set, NOT to replace the decision-making process.

But Kelly, the decision to keep running the 10052 had already been made. The color choice was obviously not an important one as they were allowing the decision to be determined by external forces. The decision-making process of TLC elected to allow fans to make the decision for them.

   Tell me how which color scheme a particular set should be (from a choice of 2 given colors) has anything to do with the decision whether or not to rerun the set in a particular color. It is a non sequitur.

?? Not understanding.

The decision to choose either dark green or dark blue was left up to a vote. Whether or not to make another run of the 10052 in either of these 2 colors wasn’t. That decision had already been made.

Yes, I see that it’s important to you to have a valuable MISB set. But I don’t agree that that should be LEGO’s priority as well.

I think it is if the expectation of limitedness is based upon claims TLC made.

   Your values and needs don’t seem to match LEGO’s needs (or Maersk’s) in this instance. At the risk of sounding cavalier (which I’m not), I’d say it’s a “tough luck” outcome, nothing more; I don’t think LEGO’s mission statement is to increase AFOL collection value. That came out sounding harsher than I really intend... I do feel the unhappiness, I just don’t agree that it’s LEGO’s responsibility to avoid situations where people are unhappy for one reason or another.

But my point is that people would never have had that expectation in the first place had they not stated that it was the end of the line for Maersk blue. So many people who bought that set did so believing that they were purchasing the last of the Maersk blue, possibly forever. So TLC decides to make more. Okay, fine, but at least acknowledge that many people may have purchased those 10052s with the idea that they would be valuable some day, based on TLC’s admission), and that they may have been misled.

My simple solution would be to change the number of the set, and I believe everyone would be happy because the value of those initial sets would be preserved (even parts sellers, because I doubt that the value of Maersk blue elements will be affected by that much, given the limited run).

JOHN