 LEGO Company / 2936
Re: 10152 Update
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego
Date:
Mon, 20 Dec 2004 03:47:19 GMT

In lugnet.lego, John Neal wrote:
   In lugnet.lego, Kelly McKiernan wrote:

<various snippaging>

   But you ignore the fact that part of the reason that that set may have been such a good seller in the first place was that people may have purchased them as collectibles. I know I purchased a few extra with that thought in mind.

Yes, I understand - but did LEGO position it as a collectible? Officially, on their web site? I never read it that way. Jake’s post (I could dig it up if it matters) clearly laid out that they were running the last of the existing Maersk blue and they did not anticipate acquiring more of that color. I can’t see a lie there. There was never anything stating that they would never run more - just the aside (to AFOLs) that they were using all remaining Maersk blue. Any assumptions of collectibility were made by purchasers, not LEGO - and I can’t see how LEGO could’ve positioned it differently so some people wouldn’t assume collectibility. Unless they didn’t tell the whole truth, of course, in which case they’d be accused of lying by omission.

http://news.lugnet.com/lego/?n=1801

From the above post by Jake:

“This set uses …drum roll please… Maersk blue! In fact, the run of this new set uses all the Maersk blue ABS pellets we have left. That means that there is literally no Maersk blue ABS left. Even the parks can no longer get Maersk blue.

This is a small run too – only 14,000 total, with 10,000 coming to Shop At Home.

I believe this implies “limited quantities” with the implication “get them while they are still available because it will be the last we see of Maersk blue”.

That’s a fair assertion. Being somebody who collects sets to build them, I don’t have the mindset that “limited quantities” = “collectible”. Again, though, at the time that was written, that was accurate.

   I think the whole matter would be solved in a nano second if TLC simply changed the number or somehow made the new run tangibly different from the original. This would require minimum effort and make everyone happy (except those who were really hoping for the dark blue version, which may or may not appear).

Except maybe Maersk, who’s footing the major bill for the rerun, as I understand it. You may want to have a different set, thereby maintaining the integrity of a “collectible” but that apparently didn’t meet the needs of LEGO’s primary customer for this product - Maersk.

Ideally, yes, but not necessarily so. Even changing the number on the set would have the same effect of preserving the collectibility of the original run.

At the risk of belaboring a point, renumbering a set is something collectors want, not necessarily something LEGO would want or need. In fact, adding a new number for the identical set would probably be counterproductive in the long run for the company.

   Many people are looking at it from the standpoint of “LEGO is producing collectibles, so they need to honor the implied promise of limited availability.” Does LEGO look at their products that way? I don’t know, but I doubt it.

If they had never said that Maersk blue would be gone forever after the last run, I don’t think people would have any expectation of limited availability. Therein lies the rub.

OK then... so the problem is the blue bricks, correct? But above you suggested you’d be happy by LEGO changing the design or set number. Do you mean LEGO recreating a Maersk Sealand set without Maersk blue? I wouldn’t think that would meet the client’s need, personally.

No, the problem isn’t the blue bricks. I am glad that more Maersk blue bricks will be available via this second run. My problem is that the collectibility of an original run MISB 10052 has taken a severe hit due to some (however unintended) misdirection on the part of TLC.

I agree with that except for the word “misdirection” which implies wrongdoing. Changed circumstances, with no wrongdoing on anyone’s part.

<snip>

   In that case, since the Sante Fe sets are numbered, there’s more grounds for an assumption that they won’t reproduce the same number. But that’s their decision. I’d hope they wouldn’t reproduce set numbers like that. But it’s really a different situation from the generic Maersk Sealand set, IMO.

I don’t think so. In either case specific promises weren’t made, but there was clear implication of the intention of TLC at the time.

Sorry, have to disagree. The set was run with existing color inventory, which was anticipated to be exhausted. If it were to be positioned as a collectible, it would’ve been positioned differently. More like the Sante Fe.

If Maersk had not wanted more, and been willing to spend to get it, then this wouldn’t be an issue; from all accounts, LEGO didn’t intend to purchase that color of granules in the future. Again, I don’t see how Maersk’s decision at a later time makes LEGO liable.

   LEGO asking our opinions is not an entitlement for AFOLs to expect special treatment.

Well, I think you are on thin ice to defend TLC here. They clearly implied that the winner of the color contest would be produced in that set. Yeah, things change, but does that mean that TLC necessarily doesn’t have to keep their word? It’s called integrity. “My word is my bond” and all of that stuff.

What word? I don’t recall LEGO promising that, and I voted. If they did promise, then I’d assume ALL polls are contracts that they would abide by. I’d want to see all results tabulated, and be able to track how well they met their stated obligation.

Come on, Kelly, you are bending over backwards. Would you have even bothered to vote if you knew that TLC had no intention of following through with their plan? What sense would it make to hold a contest if they had no intention of following through with the results. It makes no sense.

No, this makes perfect sense to me. In fact, it’s one of my core belief sets. Just because a vote on LEGO.com might indicate AFOL preference once way or another, I’m certain that’s not the only factor that influences set production. Take it to an extreme: say I was the only one to vote. Poll results would have been 100% dark green. But I take that as no guarantee that this is the only factor in deciding that color. If the resulting set had come out in dark red instead, I’d be understandably curious - but I wouldn’t be upset with LEGO for not listening to me. My vote is only one factor of many, and doesn’t entitle me to any ownership in the final decision. I also have confidence that Jake would be able to get some sort of brief explanation, which is again not something I expect from many other companies.

In fact, I trust my vote on LEGO.com more than I trust my vote to make a difference in the recent US presidential election. Because I have a greater trust that LEGO will at least consider my opinion, where I have zero guarantee the government will. But at no time did I ever consider my LEGO vote for a color to be a binding contract for LEGO. I made a suggestion, they were free to take it as they saw fit.

   But they didn’t promise.

This is irrelevant in my view. It is about PR.

Not exactly sure how to respond to that...

   Soapbox alert, not directed at any one person, so don’t take it personally, John... but I get terribly irritated when people (anyone) assumes that since somebody asks their opinion, that person (or company) is then obligated to follow the stated opinion. LEGO asking AFOL opinion on color (results of which I heard were virtually 50/50) was a favor to us,

??? Seems like providing input is more like US providing a favor TO THEM.

In many ways, sure. They definitely get a valuable amount of information from our exertion. But it works both ways. I’ve been fortunate enough to be able to interact (in minor ways) with LEGO on various things. It’s a fair amount of work in some instances, but the feeling that I have some small voice in the direction of something more than makes up for it. Because I still have that naive optimism that whispers, “I can make a difference with something I care about.” I can’t say that in my job, or many other areas of my existence. Ooh, getting a bit deep here...

   and not something a whole lot of companies would do. The way I took it, the poll was to help the decision-making process on future color for the set, NOT to replace the decision-making process.

Tell me how which color scheme a particular set should be (from a choice of 2 given colors) has anything to do with the decision whether or not to rerun the set in a particular color. It is a non sequitur.

?? Not understanding.

   What if LEGO made the decision to not release the new set to the public, although they could’ve?

For what possible reason? Thinking it would be a big seller but deciding not to offer it would be sheer lunacy. They are a business. Whoever would make such a decision would be an idiot and should be sacked from the company for incompetency.

   The same firestorm of criticism, certainly. There was really no way for the company to please everybody in this.

Not so, as I explained above. The answer is quite simple, really. Actually, it’s too bad that the first run didn’t use classic gray and classic brown. Then the point would be moot as well...

Then it wouldn’t have been “Maersk Sealand” in the first place. Just “Sealand”.

I don’t follow you there. All I’m saying is that if the set had been produced a year or so ago, it would have used the old gray and brown, and that would have been enough to differentiate it from a newer run that will use the new gray and brown, thus preserving the original collectibility of the first run. But it’s a moot point.

True, that’s a bunch of “what if’s” that don’t have much to do with the subject now, which is whether or not LEGO has lied or otherwise been misrepresentative in re-releasing the Maersk Sealand set.

<snip>

   What I am talking about is the value of an MISB set that was implied to be limited. Even if TLC makes a new run as they have stated they are going to do, they could still preserve the limitedness of the original run by simply changing the number on the set of the new run. Does that make sense?

Yes, I see that it’s important to you to have a valuable MISB set. But I don’t agree that that should be LEGO’s priority as well. Your values and needs don’t seem to match LEGO’s needs (or Maersk’s) in this instance. At the risk of sounding cavalier (which I’m not), I’d say it’s a “tough luck” outcome, nothing more; I don’t think LEGO’s mission statement is to increase AFOL collection value. That came out sounding harsher than I really intend... I do feel the unhappiness, I just don’t agree that it’s LEGO’s responsibility to avoid situations where people are unhappy for one reason or another.

Kelly