 LEGO Company / 2986
Re: 10152 Update
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego
Date:
Tue, 21 Dec 2004 04:42:08 GMT

In lugnet.lego, John Neal wrote:
It is TLC's decision to accommodate Maersk, and, as I mentioned, I have no
problem with that; in fact I welcome it.  All I am trying to say is that TLC
gave the impression that Maersk blue would no longer be available after it
ran its course through the 10052 sets.  That made the 10052 collectible,
[based on that assertion, and that assertion alone].

To clarify:  "collectibility", by your explanations, is based purely on your
own *speculation* (and others who share your thinking).  TLC's "assertion"
(as you call it) had nothing whatsoever to do with making the set
"collectible", since, as you use the term, "collectibility" is purely
*speculation* of potential resale value.  TLC doesn't make things
"collectible"..., you and I do.  Just for differing reasons.  ;]

But my point is that people would never have had that expectation in the
first place had [they not stated] that it was the end of the line for Maersk
blue.  So many people who bought that set did so believing that they were
purchasing the last of the Maersk blue, possibly forever.  So TLC decides to
make more.  Okay, fine, but at least acknowledge that many people may have
purchased those 10052s with the idea that they would be valuable some day,
[based on TLC's admission), and that they may have been misled.

They were misled only by themselves.  Speculation is risky business.  Believing
otherwise is misleading yourself.

KDJ
LUGNETer #203