 LEGO Company / 2362
Re: LEGO Brick Masters Launches!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego
Date:
Wed, 29 Sep 2004 18:56:21 GMT

In lugnet.lego, Rocco J. Carello wrote:

   Unfortunately, I get the impression that LEGO’s programmers are using a very proprietary tool such as Microsoft Visual C++, and so they are stuck releasing Windows-only software. That is why I suggested getting some programers who are more flexible.

   As an aside:

TLC seems to have their computer systems deeply rooted in Microsoft’s proprietary technology where there are more open solutions available that would serve them just as well. Even the shop.lego.com website is written in ASP. That is a shame, for it could be done just as well in PHP and then TLC wouldn’t be locked into Microsoft’s grip. This Microsoft mentality does hurt them. Look at the mosiac maker they had. It required computers running Windows. The same thing could have easily been done with server-side Java, PHP, or Perl and worked for everybody. (In fact, I know some people have written their own mosiac makers in Perl) It would not have cost TLC more to develop the site or mosiac maker with something else, and it would have opened up room for more potential sales.

Tis folly, I say.

The real irony is that LDD was not even written by developers at Lego, it was outsourced to a company called Qube Software who have the release blurb here which states: LDD uses a sophisticated, skinable GUI built on Q’s layer API LDD ships on Q1.0

based on their cross platform Q Engine that can run on Windows, Linux, X-Box and PS2 platforms.

-Rob A>