 LEGO Company / 2336
Re: LEGO Brick Masters Launches!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego
Date:
Wed, 22 Sep 2004 14:43:02 GMT

In lugnet.lego, Ace Kim wrote:
   i dunno... can you really say that the mac market is less than 10%? that might have been true a few years ago, but apple is steadily gaining marketshare;

A huge chunk of Apple’s recent marketshare gains has been credited to the iPod, especially now that it’s PC-compatible (which means you no longer have to buy a Mac to go with your iPod).

   one would only have to look at the number of apple retail stores opening up at a mall near you.

And at the same time, don’t forget to look at the vast number of stores that sell PCs, but not Macs. Department stores like Wal-Mart are selling PCs now, but there’s only one store in town that I can think of that sold Macs in the last five years, and if they haven’t completely done away with their Mac section, they’ve certainly scaled it back quite a bit (and they stopped servicing them about two years ago).

   that 90% or greater number that keeps getting tossed around certainly may be true for BUSINESS computers, but apple has always had a good portion of the educational market.

Neither of those markets are the main concern here. It’s the home PC market that really matters, since that’s where the vast majority of the primary target audience (young kids) will be using LEGO software. Schools (the educational market of which you speak) tend to frown on students installing recreational programs on their computers. The other major chunk of the educational market is college students, who are statistically less likely to use LEGO software.

   personally, i think it’s ludicrous that LEGO has yet to support the Mac platform.

I agree that it’d be great if they’d start issuing Mac-compatible software, but I think it’s a telling sign that the last game to be released for PC (BIONICLE) was ported to the PS2, GameCube, and X-Box...but not the Mac. With the move towards intensive 3D graphics, I’m not sure the game market really meshes very well with non-upgradable Macs. It’s one thing to have to replace your video card every year or two to keep up with the latest/greatest games, but having to replace your whole computer is a bit more expensive than the average consumer can keep up with. I was actually looking at buying a Grape iMac as my first computer, but then I saw how horribly underpowered it was at the time (the G4 had just hit the market), and found out that I could never upgrade it...so I got a PC. With a purple case.