 LEGO Company / 2012
Re: Color Names
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.color, lugnet.lego
Date:
Thu, 10 Jun 2004 23:22:57 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Mark Papenfuss wrote:
   In lugnet.cad, Jake McKee wrote:

   I could be totally off base, but my thinking is that some group has to “own” the naming/numbering, and what better group than LDraw.org? (With input from relevant players, of course)

I do not think anybody would need to “own” anything here (other than Lego). And I do not think any one site should be the leader with this. If the 3 sites chose to work something out then they should all have an equal say. As catalog admin on BL I would not want to be flat out told what to name something with less input than the next person, and that really turns me off to the idea (speaking for myself, not anybody else in any way mind you). I think that was the problem last time - one site trying to take everything over.

All I mean by “own” (and the reason I keep using quotes) is that someone/some group is driving the process. And as I, and I believe Steve and Tim mentioned, the point I was making wasn’t that anyone is told what to do, but that there is input and discussion until an idea is developed. Every project has to have some sort of leadership. Sometimes that’s one person, sometimes that’s a small group. Either way, they “own” that project. That’s all I was saying.

   I also think that before the community can ‘come together’ on this Lego needs to ‘come together’ with itself first. I am not sure how something can be expected when a company uses the same name for 2 different colors in one example, and 2 names for the same color in another example.

I know you may not like the numbering/naming scheme, but from what I can tell it works fine for us.

   I am not saying Lego needs to change its internal names - but it would be good to see a color guide ON lego.com that uses public-friendly names (and dare I say more correct names than the internal names?). And this would include STOP using a name for a color when that color has been changed - example - NOT calling the new bley ‘gray’. As well as only using ONE name per color (example of green and dark green).

Besides AFOLs, who would care? Kids aren’t knocking down are door to clarify whether it’s pink or magenta.

   Do not get me wrong - I think its a great idea - but I would like to see Lego get useable names first.

I guess I just still don’t understand (and I’m really not trying to be dense) why it matters what we call things internally? We call it medium stone gray, but have you ever called it that? No, you call it bley, gray, new light gray, whatever you want. And that’s totally cool.

I just can’t see that there’s any requirement for LEGO to change their naming methods or part numbering or to create an internal version and an external version. Honestly, AFOLs are the only ones who care about this, and as such, it’s best left to them to develop a naming/numbering scheme that best works for them. Right?

Jake

---
Jake McKee
Community Liaison