 CAD / 11546
Re: Color Names
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.color, lugnet.lego
Date:
Fri, 11 Jun 2004 22:10:07 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Mark Papenfuss wrote:
What? Are you saying the colors are not important to kids? I hope I
misunderstood you... but I know many kids that care that the new colors in
the new sets "look funny" when used with parts from older sets. And I think
it DOES matter that if you are selling a brick that is not the same color
you do not call it the same name (and/or same set number) as you used for
the old color. That IS important information to Lego fans of ALL ages.

That sorta gets tricky marketing-wise. If you have a color called "Red", then
change it just slightly, forever-after calling it "Apple Red", I'd think
newcomers would start to be confused. IE "What's this stone color? Is it grey? I
want grey bricks, but I dunno if these are them or not". Basically it gets
confusing. Especially if you have several iterations, because you'd have to come
up with a new name each time you had a new color, even though really, your
customers are just going to call it "red". Remember also that these color names
are partially there for kids to read, and kids want simple names, not
complicated names.

You do have a good point insofar as when you *make* the change, it's confusing
to people who get a different color than they expected and/or wanted, and it'd
be great to have a footnote somewhere to that effect, but in the long term,
having a new name would just be sorta silly.

Now, when multiple colors that are close are out at the same time, then you
obviously need multiple names-- and similarly if Lego were producing BOTH 'grey'
and 'stone' at the same time for a year or two, then yes, I'd expect there to be
a name variation. But further since it was a color *replacement*, and not just a
*new* color, even more reason to not confuse customers any more than you have
to.

DaveE