 CAD / 11519
11518  |  11520
Subject:
Color Names
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.color, lugnet.lego
Date:
Thu, 10 Jun 2004 17:10:35 GMT

All,

I’ve seen many requests as of late to have LEGO release their color names for the specific brick colors. There has also been multiple requests for RGB/CMYK values and specific LEGO part numbers. Over the years I’ve addressed this question here and there, but here’s the full answer all in one post.

Color Chart/Color Values

Back in August of 2003, I posted provide a color chart with color values to Peeron. Dan and Jenn were kind enough to Webify it and post it.

Color Names

To be honest, I’m not sure you’d want to have the official names. They make sense internally, but have not typically been in the “language” of AFOLs. I can look into this at some point, but I think the bigger issue is coming to an agreed standard among AFOLs between all the various sites using color names and just use that.

For example, if I told you that the color you consider Dark Blue (used in Orient Expedition sets and container ship voting) is called Earth Blue by LEGO, would you change it just because LEGO uses that name? I imagine most AFOLs would still call it Dark Blue. And what if, for instance, in French, “Earth Blue” doesn’t translate very well, what happens then? Do you then come up with another naming scheme for French?

So the bigger question to me is how to create a singular, AFOL-friendly, language agnostic (or as close to agnostic as possible) naming system that is shared among all the sites and tools that use such a system. Couldn’t this be a committee task of the LSC?

Part Numbers

Like the weirdness of internal color names, part numbering gets even trickier. Internally, part numbers are used for more than simply identifying a part by it’s type. We don’t have a single number like 1234 to equate to all 2x4 bricks.

Part numbers can (but doesn’t always) include
  • The style of brick (2x4)
  • The production run (when and where it was actually molded)
  • The particular version of a brick design (if a 2x4 was slightly modified to increase the interior wall size, for instance it’s a different number than the older “version”)
  • Color
All this makes for a significantly complicated system that is necessary in the manufacturing process, but not necessarily needed in the CAD/AFOL world.

Again, like the color naming, I’d suggest creating a system (which is already well underway with the current LDraw parts library) that works for AFOLs and run with it. Again, perhaps this is a task for the LSC?

I hope this helps clear things up!

Jake
---
Jake McKee