 LEGO Company / 2013
Re: Color Names
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.color, lugnet.lego
Date:
Thu, 10 Jun 2004 23:35:50 GMT

"Mark P" <mark@landofbricks.com> wrote in message
news:Hz45ux.3JA@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.cad, Jake McKee wrote:

I could be totally off base, but my thinking is that some group has to • "own"
the naming/numbering, and what better group than LDraw.org? (With input • from
relevant players, of course)

I do not think anybody would need to "own" anything here (other than • Lego). And
I do not think any one site should be the leader with this. If the 3 sites • chose
to work something out then they should all have an equal say. As catalog • admin
on BL I would not want to be flat out told what to name something with • less
input than the next person, and that really turns me off to the idea • (speaking
for myself, not anybody else in any way mind you). I think that was the • problem
last time - one site trying to take everything over.

I also think that before the community can 'come together' on this Lego • needs to
'come together' with itself first. I am not sure how something can be • expected
when a company uses the same name for 2 different colors in one example, • and 2
names for the same color in another example.

I am not saying Lego needs to change its internal names - but it would be • good
to see a color guide ON lego.com that uses public-friendly names (and dare • I say
more correct names than the internal names?). And this would include STOP • using
a name for a color when that color has been changed - example - NOT • calling the
new bley 'gray'. As well as only using ONE name per color (example of • green and
dark green).

Do not get me wrong - I think its a great idea - but I would like to see • Lego
get useable names first.

Mark P
LoB

Let's flip that around though - supposing the community/LSC/whoever came up
with the concept of the AFOL Universal Pallette. This could be the list of
all the colors, with the color names that we as a community decide and a
color ID. If this could be implemented as a subscribable service - ie,
various resources could have an account, so they can alias their systems to
the universal one, then it would be easy to translate.

An example,
Let's assume that the universal color record for white is
ID: 1001
Color Name: Bright White

Bricklink could come in and say - ah, on my site, I know this color as
'White' and it's BLID is '1'
As more systems subscribe (such as LDraw, Peeron, whoever) then translating
between them becomes super easy and somewhat official. As an extra, the only
changes that would need to be made on Bricklink is an extra field in the
color table of the database to hold the universal ID (even though BL would
continue to use the BLID internally, just like it does now). The universal
ID is never going to change, so once it is set per color, you could forget
about it.
This means that BL/Peeron/whoever could carry on using whatever names they
want, yet translating between them is still easy.

In this model, LEGO themselves would be set up as a subscriber in the
universal database. So even if Lego name their white 'Quite bright white
with a hint of gray', then we can still translate it to the '1001 Bright
White' record in the universal system and thus on to 'White' in Bricklink
and whatever else.

This is all reasonably easy to do and I have been doing a very simplified
version of this for BrikTrak for a while now. If LDraw/LSC could 'own' and
implement this, then it could be quite easy to adopt for all the sites out
there.

I've been spending quite a lot of time recently mapping out BL colors to the
official LEGO ones and I'm more than happy to give away the data I have so
far if we are going to organise some sort of system.

Next step then is doing something similar for part numbers..... ; )

Richard. - Who's been wanting something like this for a looong time!