 Inventories / 232
Re: Peeron inventory mistakes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.inv
Date:
Mon, 11 Sep 2006 18:44:32 GMT

In lugnet.inv, John Patterson wrote:
I have been finding many many errors on the Peeron inventory lists.  I have
contacted them and they do not respond.

Peeron admins sometimes take a little time before responding and fixing an
inventory-- but in my experience they have fixed every error I have sent them.

And just in case, be sure to send corrections through the web interface (the
link that says "Submit an update to this inventory") for the most accurate and
timely fixes. That way (I believe) the admins can just skim it, and OK it rather
than re-typing it in (finding correct part numbers, color names, quantities,
etc).

You can also send corrections to inv@peeron.com, although I expect those would
take longer since this forces the admins to do a little more legwork. Also,
don't send corrections directly to the admins themselves (like, say, Dan, who
runs the technical side of things at Peeron, but doesn't usually handle data
corrections), but keep everything going to inv@peeron.com

I have found so many mistakes in their listings it is somewhat discouraging.

Heh, keep in mind that Peeron data is only as good as the people who submit
inventories. It can be TOUGH to do an accurate inventory, especially if you're
not sure of a part number or color code. For example, DkOrange was occasionally
listed as Butterscotch, because the people who were doing inventorying didn't
have examples of DkOrange pieces, and thought it was a new color. Sometimes,
part numbers are entered incorrectly, like 30359a when it should have been
30359b or 3245a instead of 3245b. Sometimes, people aren't sure what color to
enter something as, like mixed-color minifig legs (which Peeron tags as a single
part). And of course, there are just plain typos, and miscounts as well.

One of the things that people always seem to forget is that data isn't perfect.
Many sets have just been inventoried ONCE, with nobody double-checking them.
There are probably LOTS of sets that could use double-checking, but most people
simply see that an inventory exists, and assume that it's accurate.

So, in light of that, I applaud you! Peeron needs more people like you who are
willing to be dilligent!

DaveE