 Inventories / 11
Re: Clear 1 x 1 tiles?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.inv
Date:
Mon, 7 Apr 2003 17:00:29 GMT

In lugnet.inv, Jennifer L. Boger writes:

  Clear 1x1 tiles are common among clone brands, and they often don't have
any clone-specific markings on them.  Does the tile in question show the
LEGO part number anywhere?

This crossed my mind that it might be a clone, but the plastic seems genuine,
there's no lego markings, it's got the groove, and unlike the clones that were
in the batch (tyco and megablok), it's standard 1/3 height, not 1/2 or
anything silly like that.  Long story short.  I don't know.  There's only 1.
I did find some clone 2 x 2 tiles in black, no markings, just "looked funny"
on the underside, weren't smooth, had like.. mold flaws underneath.  This 1 x
1 is too small to tell, and no, doesn't have a lego number on it, but i'm not
sure 1 x 1s usually do.

Hey now, clone plastic is genuine--it's just not genuine *ABS*!

Good call about the Tyco height thing, and I don't believe MegaBloks has
produced a 1x1 tile to date.  Coko is the other brand that comes to mind, of
which a Wal*Mart promotional truck is the most recent domestically available
item, as shown here:

http://members.bellatlantic.net/~drteeth1/images/truck.jpg

You can't make them out too clearly in the image, but the side mirrors each
contain 2 of the tiles in question.  The roof of the trailer also has 4 1x1
tiles in trans-red, for what it's worth.  Interestingly, these tiles have
the same groove as LEGO. I think that Coko actually uses ABS, though I can't
speak to the objective quality (being a clone zealot, after all).  It's
possible that Tandem or Qubo also produced the 1x1 tile, but I'll need to
check my info if you're tremendously curious.

Good luck in your search.  I should warn you, though, that this is how we
indoctrinate people into clone acceptance--little by little your inventory
will be suffused with lovely lovely clone bricks.  All in good time...

     Dave!