 Instructions / 408
Re: Instruction Tutorial - Dry Goods Store
Newsgroups:
lugnet.inst, lugnet.cad
Date:
Fri, 16 May 2003 18:41:03 GMT

In lugnet.inst, Benjamin Ellermann writes:
In lugnet.inst, Kevin L. Clague writes:
Hi Ben,

It is nice to see how people use LPub to create building instructions.  As
the author I've been curious how people use LPub as part of a process.  This
helps me plan for future enhancements to LPub.

I hope my images and article will help you.  I am only using version
2.0.0.58  It is simple to use.  No offense but the other documentation for
future versions is very long and somewhat confusing.  Newbies would be
extremely lost.  I think there should be a two versions of LPub: an expert
and beginner.

There will always be one version of LPub, but I know LPub too well to write a
good beginner document.  Anyone want to volunteer to write one?

I already wrote a chapter in a book on LPub, so it will be a while before I get
enough literary energy up to write it all out again.  I'm an engineer, not an
english major ;^)  I hated every english class I ever had to take. LOL!

<snip>

At some point I will add the option for arrows between callouts and step • images.

I am aware of the new changes in LPub for this.  I was slightly unhappy with
the images for several subassemblies that you have made.  Dont get me wrong
- they look awesome but they look like they are from a technic manual :)  I
dont know if there are other options to change number fonts, background
colors, arrow sizes and shapes, etc so subassemblies can look appropriate
for castle or town instructions.  I also like to be able to manipulate the
size of the subassembly and the horizontal and vertical arrangement of the
step images to best fit that instruction.  If you look at my subassemblies
they have specific black lines going to the larger instructions. This is how
many LEGO instructions work.

So I've achieved my goal.  I'm a technic guy, so I was trying to provide layout
mechanisms based on technic building instructions of old as seen in scans on
brickshelf.  LPub2.2 has options to control the font sizes and colors for part
list images (both instance counts and axle length annotation).  LPub 2.2 also
provides font controls for step numbering in each sub-model level callout.

As I said, I plan on providing an option for arrows instead of the triangle
pointers from sub-assemblies to step image.  Arrows are how building
instructions are done today, but they used to be done using the triangular
pointers.

LPub 2.2 seperates the image generation (taking DATs and getting POV-Ray images
and part list images), from the new layout mechanism that creates callouts and
packs them together.

You have the option to not use the layout mechanism.  No automated layout
mechanism will be able to match the creative eye of an artist.

The good news is that I consider LPub in its early developmental stages yet, so
there is lots of time and motivation to grow and enhance it.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/BenjaminE/Drygoods/Final/03dstore.jpg

What would be nice is a gui program like LPub in which you could pick a step
background, render step images in the same place on that background without
cropping, add step number (where you wanted it, whatever size, specific font
,etc), add subassemblies (with many subassembly options to suit the type of
instructions), and better outlining of pieces (I havent used Mega-Pov yet)
to create high quality instructions.  This type of program would need
preview screens (rendered quickly in low quality) for everything in the
instruction page.  The ability to move and resize images would be critical.

Yup.  What you want is a "What You See Is What You Get" WYSIWYG editor.

I am afraid that to get something exactly as I want it requires a lot of
editing in photoshop.

Nothing wrong with that.  At least LPub takes care of the construction image,
part list image and bill of material image generation for you.  In this it
achieves its goal,  eliminate the most laborious and error prone (and the least
motivating) part of creating building instructions.

<snip>

The instructions look very nice.  I look forward to reading your how-to.

Thanks for sharing your process with us.

Thank you again.  I am very busy with finals and moving but I hope to get a
"how to" section done sometime this summer.

Ben

Kevin