 Instructions / 403
Re: Instruction Tutorial - Dry Goods Store
Newsgroups:
lugnet.inst
Date:
Fri, 16 May 2003 11:56:28 GMT

Hi Ben,

  It is nice to see how people use LPub to create building instructions.  As
the author I've been curious how people use LPub as part of a process.  This
helps me plan for future enhancements to LPub.

In lugnet.inst, Benjamin Ellermann writes:
I have created a new town building, a Dry Goods Store.

I am using this MOC as an example of my process to make high quality
building instructions.  I still need to write a how to section for Jake's
Building Instructions Portal but here are the images.

I was thinking about writing up a web page on this topic as well.

Final Instructions:

These look very nice and well organized.

LDraw file:

Piece Editing Tutorial Images:

Subassembly Editing Process

Please note that since you started your process, LPub has come out with its
own process for creating these "called out" sub-assemblies.

LPub created this entire image by itself without manual intervention.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/kclague/mm-walker/ucogv.jpg

At some point I will add the option for arrows between callouts and step images.

The callout feature is the next big step in letting us do all that LEGO can
do with their building instructions.

Instruction Page Creation Process:

I used mlcad, l3p, lpub, and pov-ray to create the rendered images.  A
scanner was used to get images of certain pieces like the shutters.
Finally, I edited images in photoshop by adding a background image, step
numbers, lines outlining the pieces, etc.

Please leave feedback on the images and what I should include in the
tutorial and what you think of the store.  (As a side note - I do not have
access to a digital camera at this time to take pictures of the actual model)

The instructions look very nice.  I look forward to reading your how-to.

Thanks for sharing your process with us.

Ben

Kevin