 Harry Potter / 166
Re: Longevity of Potter?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.harrypotter
Date:
Thu, 10 May 2001 13:07:47 GMT

This may just be some crazy speculative talk, but I believe that Lego agreed
to a Three-movie contract that’s up for renewal upon completion of the third
installment.

    Again, this could be a blatant fabrication.
                                 But, I believe that I read this somewhere.

Here is the original press release from Lego:

http://www.lego.com/info/pressspecific.asp?pressreleaseid=111&year=2000

and I quote:

The four-year agreement, which marks the third property licensed by the LEGO
Company, gives the company the right to produce and sell construction toys
based on the popular Harry Potter series that has cast a spell over children
everywhere.

The licensing agreement gives the LEGO Company exclusive rights to produce
construction toys based on the first two Harry Potter movies. ?arry Potter
and the Sorcerer? Stone, Warner Bros. Pictures adaptation of the first in
the best-selling series of Harry Potter books, to be directed by Chris
Columbus (?ome Alone, ?rs. Doubtfire), will hit theaters throughout North
America in November 2001.

The first sets in the new LEGO? line will allow kids ages six to 12 to bring
to life the Harry Potter storyline and its characters. The 2001 toy line,
which will include nine sets based on the ?arry Potter and the Sorcerer?
Stone movie, is slated to be on store shelves prior to the film? release.

Warner Bros. Worldwide Consumer Products gained licensing and merchandising
rights for the Harry Potter series as part of an overall deal when Warner
Bros. Pictures signed with author J.K. Rowling. The deal includes
development of two films based on the first two books in the series.

When Lego signed the deal, Warner Bros. hadn't even committed to the second
film though since then they have and fast tracked it for< I believe, release
in Fall 2002. Of course, with the success of the books and the almost
guaranteed success of the movie it is easy to believe that WB will want to
make more than two movies but it depends also on how they can preserve the
freshness of the concept across so many films. Look at the difficulty the
Batman movies have had. Add to that the fairly repetitive plotlines of the
films.(That's not a criticism, I love the books dearly, but they all utilize
essentially the same sets and characters.) Bringing back all the actors so
many times is very difficult and they would have to cope with the aging of
the central kid actors.

If the movies are made, and if Lego does well with the sets, I don't doubt
that Lego will seek to extend its license. But the possible staleness of the
movies applies to set design as well. After you have produced the Hogwart's
express, the school, the alley, Hogsmead, etc what can be done. Three harry
Potter movies don't offer nearly the same variety of locations and possible
designs as three Star Wars movies. The characters remain the same as well.

I will be very interested to see how it all plays out.

Jonathan