 Harry Potter / 1012
Re: What do you think of Goblin heads?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.harrypotter, lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 4 Jan 2002 14:06:22 GMT

Erik Olson wrote:

So, the Gringott's Bank set has goblin heads with protruding ears and such.
Are these a good idea in general, or best used sparingly?

My initial reaction was cool! Then I thought more and decided that I
wish it was actually a regular head. I'd also have preferred the Ewoks
to be a regular head with printed torsos and use the forester cowl, the
Star Wars cowl, or possibly a new cowl.

I do very much like the short legs though it would have been cool if
they could have figured out a way to at least let the poor shorties sit.
Perhaps they will come out with a new leg piece for a sitting shorty. I
hope they use the shorties in some town sets so we get more leg colors
to start building a child population.

I figure that you can accept these heads as just one more special piece like
beards and hairdos, or worry about the juniorization and spudification of
minifig heads.

I wonder, will Lego confine these special heads to extra-human species like
giant bunnies, lycanthropes, droids and other golems, yodi,  Gungans and
goblins?

I think custom parts are ok for very unusual heads. I like Watoo,
Gungans (in moderation), and the Nestle Quick bunny, and the ghost of
the ones which are currently available (I suspect I will also like the
were wolf, I'm not sure what else we know is coming).

I think I would have preferred a printed head for C3-PO.

I'm glad Hagrid, the troll, and the new racer drivers use minifig heads.

I feel like I'm forgetting one or two sculpted heads/body parts.

I very much don't like the single piece aliens.

I like R2-D2 (in moderation, the parts have also been demonstrated to be
useful for more than just droids), the battle droids (again useful parts
though I haven't seen an alternate use yet for the head or legs), and
the Martians (again we haven't seen the head and legs used elsewhere
yet, but these demonstrate clever re-use of the battle droid parts).

I do mostly like the creator figures (I do wish they had more
articulation, but understand the cost and child-proofing limits [cost
and possibly child proofing probably eliminated the possibility of a
ball joint for the head like Fabuland and child proofing limited the
capability for rotating hands, child proofing also eliminates the
customizability of swapping parts around]).

Will they cross the line and put a real protruding nose where an ordinary
painted yellow head would do?

I hope not.

Frank