 General / 9921
9920  |  9922
Subject:
Even more 2000 comments
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 9 Nov 1999 14:50:55 GMT

After picking myself up off the floor I have several comments.

Someone commented that a lot of the catalog was Star Wars sets. Note
that this catalog came out of a Star Wars Snow Speeder set. I suspect
that other sets will have different small catalogs which will focus on
other things (might be a good idea to look for a newly stocked town
set).

All I can say is that 2000 is going to be expensive...

Sets and themes:

Futbol: not quite as nice as soccer, but still looks real good

Soccer Buses: cool.

Flash Speeder: nice little $11 set

Trade Federation MTT: decent, nice parts

Trade Federation ATT: not bad, reasonable use of the saucer pieces

New Castle: nice. I like how they used the 32x48 double hill baseplate
in the big castle. I like the new troop logos.

Artic: nice. Orange (or has the scanner tricked us).

Comments on new pieces:

Futbol field piece: neat, I hope it comes in other colors. Black or grey
would be nice for making roads.

New elevated road pieces: cool.

Between the Ultimate Collector Series X-Wing and the Trade Federation
ATT, it looks like there may be a new 4 or 6 long tube, but maybe that's
a bunch of the 2 long ones connected together.

Dinosaurs: cool

Kadu: nice

Polar Bear: real nice

Can we possibly hope for a sheep or cow?

Modular wall piece in the artic sets: Nice. I can see space folks buying
a bunch of these.

The new flag in the artic sets looks nice.

I like the new arctic hood.

I do like the new castle helmet.

Wasn't there a big discussion on the limited number of new pieces TLG
introduces each year?

Existing  Pieces new availability and colors:

Train windows: have some TLG set designers figured out how to answer our
prayers and sneak around the poor parts pack selection? I see white,
black, and red.

Blue 2x2x3 extreme slope corners: yeeha! Now we need a good source of
blue extreme slopes.

Is that a new piece in the lion knights, a lion lintel piece? Neat.

Are those 2x2 inverse medium slope corners on the buses?

Is that green macaroni in the Flash Speeder? Also the rounded top
bricks. Are those brown minifig chairs or black?

Are those green 4x4 radar dishes on the Futbol players?

Teasers:

Note the "hotel" sign on page 27.
Princess Leia (new female face, new unique hair piece)
Note the army of droids, perhaps we'll see a droid pack.

Overall:

It looks to me like TLG has totally re-vamped their approach. There are
several new themes, and it looks to me like a return to quality sets.
Sure there are some juniorized pieces, but this is far cry from the
98/99 sets. The major dissapointment I see is not enough generic town
buildings, though the classic sets provide lots of bits for those.

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com