 General / 8210
Re: LEGO Pirates! D-Day Approaches!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 2 Oct 1999 17:55:50 GMT

[I got this response first by e-mail, so I replied that way. I don't
remember all of what I said, but here's some of it over again, plus other
comments that have occured to me in the last five minutes. :) ]

Ian Sinclair <sinclair@cadvision.com> wrote:
Out power comes from the simple fact that LEGO does not like to see
there name tarnished in any fashion.  They hate bad publicity, as
other events in the past have shown.  They dropped their case against
the artist who used LEGO to depict Concentration Camps for example.

Sure, but bad publicity isn't exactly a way to make them appreciate us. I
doubt that the artist who did the concentration camp sets is getting any
more free bricks.

[snip]
That is fair criticism.  I was going to suggest "The Lugnet LEGO Pirates"
but did not want to involve Lugnet by name.  I choose pirates because it
was one of the most popular themes, was canceled when it had plenty of life
in it to adults, etc... • [snip]
What name would you suggest?

I'm better at criticizing than coming up with good suggestions :) but I
think maybe not having An Official Name might be better.

[snip]
True, except for one major point.  Boys age 3-16 ask their parents to
purchase a couple sets each year for their birthday & Christmas. Adult fans
of Lego will buy hundreds of kits over a few years.  As I said, I have
spent $2000 in less than one year.  I am the tip of the iceberg.  I cannot
believe the size of so many people's collections.

Sure, but how many people are there who spend that much? Let's say that
there are 10,000. That is USD 20,000,000/year -- less than 2% of TLG's
sales. And that's almost certainly a high figure -- Karen and I are pretty
big Lego fans with a decent-sized collection, and we've spent a total of
$544 on Lego this year.

Also, a lot of the money adult fans spend isn't for new sets -- it's for
individual pieces and old sets. That may be a potential market that TLG
isn't tapping, but right now it means that we're even less of a percentage
of their current market.

Is this simple wish so hard to understand, or difficult to meet?

I think it's more a matter of "not considered worthwhile to them".