 General / 8209
Re: LEGO Pirates! D-Day Approaches!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 2 Oct 1999 17:53:42 GMT

<snip>

During the earlier conversation, someone posted a link to Best Lock
at:

http://www.best-lock.com/new/index.html

I just got around to looking at all the sets on this site.  Personally
I think the Military, Space, Castle, Airport and Pirate sets look
pretty darn impressive despite some blurry images.

Have all of you looked at the sets on this site?

I am already drooling over them esp the 6207

If they were built out of LEGO and not Best Lock, how many sets would
you be ordering this year? Personally, I would say twenty at least for
myself.

25 for me

This situation gets more and more absurd...

If what some have said is true, TLG's patents on its oldest bricks are
coming do if they haven't already.

If what some have said is true, TLG has decided bricks are not where
it's at.  They would rather use name branding to promote stuff most of
you and myself have no interest in buying.

Meanwhile the competition (which does exist), sees LEGO completely
loosing touch with its consumer base, especially AFOL from what I can
see.

definatley

TLG uses the profits from their over priced sets (compared to the
competition) to wage wars in markets that are meaningless to so many
others and myself.  IE. Brand name crap

TLG doesn't bother to reproduce (even in limited quantity) all the
sets so hotly desired from the past.

Grrrr *rage builds up*

TLG chooses to cancel very successful themes because there two or
three year run has ended.  So sorry, it doesn't matter that we made
lots of money selling our customers stuff they really loved.

It's now time to produce Insectoids, Cyberslam, and other useless
themes most of don't want at the expense of those themes we do.

Why wasn't I born a few years earlier than the eighties?

TLG doesn't even bother dumping really, really poor selling themes
after the first year.  Why? Because each and every theme, good, bad or
ugly must run its planned course even if retailers sell zip, blow them
out at pennies on the dollar, and waste valuable shelf space on crap.

So people I have to ask all of you these questions?

Why am I so loyal?  Why do I refuse to even look at another block
builder?  Why do I enjoy paying more?  Why do I buy even more
expensive auction items? Why do I settle for sets I don't much like to
buy, just because I need more parts to build stuff I do want?

I could go on... must I?

PEOPLE, ARE WE ALL COMPLETELY STUPID?

Yes
<HUGE SNIP>

Ian Sinclair
sinclair@cadvision.com

I think the Best-lock sets are the best Non-Lego sets I have seen,I mean the
6201 Grand -touring yacht club I would actually buy (But not mix in with my
Lego collection)! If TLG made THOSE kind of sets with that many peices, and
with that detail, I would be in the store grabbing for them wildly.......But
nooooo, we are stuck with Inceeeeeecctoids,Thrrrrroooowbots, and Tooooown
Jrrrr. and a whole bunch of other sets some Lego enthusiasts can't even
afford! Well I would join that Pirate thing...but I am too young, oh well....