 General / 8224
Re: LEGO Pirates! D-Day Approaches!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 3 Oct 1999 20:06:36 GMT

Ian,

A few points of thought...

o The Lego Group is privately held (if I understand it correctly). There
are no public traded shares and/or shareholders. That is really a shame.
Shareholders meetings are a good place to sound off.

o Where does TLG advertise ? So far, I have not seen any Lego
advertising outside of stores which already the product.

o Go hang around the toy departments of those stores. Watch & listen.
The kids (I've seen) want Legos. The parents want the kids to have
Legos. The competition (Mega Blocks, et al) does not seem to be having
that much effect.

o Parents view Lego set purchases as an investment. I can't tell you how
many times I've gone to yard sales, looked around, asked if there any
Legos and got the response "were saving those for our grandkids (or
relatives kids, etc). Prying those loose is next to impossible. TLG
probably knows this. Which means that TLGs marketing strategy has to
overcome this.

o TLG's biggest problem is what I call 'the Apple Computer syndrome'.
That is: 'We can do no wrong, our product is so good and so much better,
the competition will never overtake us'. Some people call this hubris.
Apple almost lost the whole enchilada. Lego could do likewise. The only
thing saving TLGs butt is brand recognition. LEGO has a high level of
brand recognition.

o Lego is in this to make money. Closely followed by a desire to make
quality products for children. Why should TLG sell to AFOLs ? I know why
the AFOLs want this, but what rational reason is there for TLG to become
involved in this venue ? It sounds to me like a distraction for TLG.
Forming a professional group might be a good start. Something that can
come to TLG marketing with a fist of purchase orders (for example: brown
bricks 2x4, 200K please). Make sure that TLG understands that sales to
this prof org will not dilute retail sales, only be an adjunt to them.
Show TLG a good reason for doing this (one with both profit and creative motives).

Ray

Ian Sinclair wrote:

Do we go the professional route and create a society called "Adult
LEGO Users of the World" and just lobby The LEGO Group.  Nothing has
been successful to this point.