 General / 8157
Re: Hunger website
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 30 Sep 1999 19:37:36 GMT

David Eaton wrote:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Jeremy Sproat writes:
I'd recommend donating to a more trustworthy organization, such as the Red
Cross.  I also personally donate money through my church, but YMMV with this
approach.
As far as donations go, I'd certainly agree. But they didn't require anything
from me... I tried it before posting it (one would hope I would!) and it was
simply a single click-- no cookies were dropped, no forms to fill out, no
information to give... My assumption was "well, it couldn't hurt"... after all,
it seems like the only information they can track would be things like my IP
address and what browser I'm running...

That's true -- in terms of effort on the part of the doners, it's the best
way to go!  Much easier than donating, say, a kidney.  :-,

Again, sorry for spam.

Eh?  I saw no spam coming from you, sir.

I'm reconsidering what I said eariler -- I no longer think you were
spammed.  Spam is mass, unsolicited advertising via electronic means.

You were solicited for someone else's service, in a guest book Web page.
There was probably no automation involved, no large-scale actions.  It was,
in effect, closer to a chain letter in its intent and execution...which is
far easier to deal with.

Cheers,
- jsproat

"I've spent the past few years building up an immunity to bullets."
- Angus McGuire