 Off-Topic / Debate / 2306
Re: Hunger website
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 30 Sep 1999 19:10:31 GMT

Duane Hess wrote:
In lugnet.general, David Eaton writes:
http://www.thehungersite.com
I had the same thing entered into the guest book on my website some time
ago. I haven't removed it yet, but feel that I've been violated by a spam.
Has anyone else been hit by this website? And could this be a result of
farming the Lego Maniacs webring?

You've been spammed, but I don't think directly from the Hunger Site.  It's
not cost-efficient to spam guest books.  They also have a disclaimer for
exactly this kind of thing:

http://www.thehungersite.com/policyonspam.html

Anyway, I haven't been hit, and I'm a member of both the Legomaniac's
Webring and the LDraw Webring.

I think the Hunger Site *might* be legitimate, though.  I'm skeptical of how
effective it is, or of how much of the ad money leaves the company.  They
admit that they're a for-profit comany.  You only have their word that
they're giving x percent to feed people.

I'd recommend donating to a more trustworthy organization, such as the Red
Cross.  I also personally donate money through my church, but YMMV with this
approach.

Cheers,
- jsproat

[f-ups sent to .off-topic.debate]

"I've spent the past few years building up an immunity to bullets."
- Angus McGuire