 Off-Topic / Debate / 2309
Re: Hunger website
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 30 Sep 1999 19:22:48 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Jeremy Sproat writes:
I think the Hunger Site *might* be legitimate, though.  I'm skeptical of how
effective it is, or of how much of the ad money leaves the company.  They
admit that they're a for-profit comany.  You only have their word that
they're giving x percent to feed people.

I'd recommend donating to a more trustworthy organization, such as the Red
Cross.  I also personally donate money through my church, but YMMV with this
approach.

As far as donations go, I'd certainly agree. But they didn't require anything
from me... I tried it before posting it (one would hope I would!) and it was
simply a single click-- no cookies were dropped, no forms to fill out, no
information to give... My assumption was "well, it couldn't hurt"... after all,
it seems like the only information they can track would be things like my IP
address and what browser I'm running... but things like that probably won't do
them much good, I figure... Again, sorry for spam.

DaveE