 General / 693
Re: Guitars
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.cad, lugnet.build
Date:
Tue, 17 Nov 1998 15:17:36 GMT

Larry Pieniazek writes:
Tom, can you make a Les Paul or an acoustic? I wonder if using the 2x3
plate with rounded end would work out?

Update on accoustic guitars: I really couldn't make one that was recognizable
as such. Ideally, you need a 2 x 2 1/2 plate, rounded on both ends, with a hole
in it. I suppose it could be done with a brown 2x2 round plate, on top of a 1x2
plate with centered hinge fingers attached to the bar with fingers, but then it
looks more like a banjo. Which might be good for Wild West fans :) so use
white instead. Better still is a 2x2 round white tile.

I also tried a 2x2 turntable with hinge fingers as a guitar body but the
squareness of it turned me off. The 2x3 rounded plate has the same effect on
me, plus it's just too big. One piece I wish TLG had was a 2x2 wing: it's just a
2x2 L plate with area inside the hypoteneuse (sp?) filled in.

I even tried a round concave 2x2 (the kind stuck to the underside of jetskis) to
make a bazuki/mandolin, but it doesn't hold together well. Even 2x2 round
plates have a hard time staying on so you have to slide the neck piece right up
against it. Those shaved studs make it difficult for such a piece to remain
attached by only one stud. To make them stay, I moved the neck over past
the mid-point of the tile so that the body piece would have to nudge the neck
piece back over just a bit to attach itself to the grilled tile. Done that way, you
get enough friction. The connection grips the stud between the end of the tile
and the end of the neck piece, not the sides of the tile gripping the stud. (Can
you tell I've been thinking about this?  ;-P)  One thing I haven't yet
experimented with is Technic pieces, as I don't have a lot of them. Perhaps
potential for a cool guitar body lies there hidden with some other small parts. I'll
leave that for others.

Sorry for the length of the post, but I felt that folks wanted to know.

I'm going to add one more electric guitar today, hopefully in the next few
minutes. It's the same as the others except that the body is a 2x2 plate with
small control lever for vibrato. LMKWYT.

Rock on.

-Tom McD.
http://mbr-hobby.neotown.com/radiotitan/lego/lego.html
tfn, radiotitan@yahoo.com