 General / 58
Re: www.lugnet.com
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 3 Oct 1998 01:46:19 GMT

Todd Lehman wrote:

Kevin Loch <kloch@NOSPMkl.net> writes:

Todd Lehman wrote:
cjc@newsguy.com (Mike Stanley) writes:
When is this site going to point to something besides the plan?
More importantly, when are some of the coolest features gonna go live?
:)
We just don't know yet...there is still so much to do/plan/write.
--Todd
Who get's to be the first house?
KL

Well, that will depend mostly on snail mail (of all things :-)

The houses -- and all things that interact with the website where it
automagically knows who you are via stored identity -- for advanced
interactive/configurable stuff -- are member services, as opposed to user
services (such as these newsgroups and all static reference pages on the
website).

The way becoming a member will work is that you fill out a form online to
set up a member account, and then you send a sheet of paper with some
writing on it and a one-time (lifetime) membership application fee via snail
mail.

When we receive your snail mail, we'll enter your temporary ID, and the
system will convert this to a permanent ID.  Then we'll print this permanent
ID and a password on a sheet of paper and mail that back to you.

The sheet you mail to us is a signed statement from you saying that you have
read and understand and agree to the terms of use for the site (basically
that you agree not to abuse the system or cause ruckus), and the information
on sheet we mail back to you is what you'll use to activate your Sign me up!

KL

membership.

Snail mail is used for legal and security reasons, as well as to discourage
drive-by signups that are so common with other online services.

As mentioned in the Plan document, <http://www.lugnet.com/plan/>, all
general-purpose information such as reference materials and things like that
will always be freely available to anyone on the net (unless they abuse the
system and we have to lock them out for some reason).  The purpose of
memberships is to provide advanced services such as huge automated auctions
which are tied into the core databases, smart web pages which remember what
sets you're looking for and instantly help you find other members who have
them for sale (or vice-versa), and all sorts of commerce, database, and
customization applications where authentication and rigorous ID tracking is
required.

The first member service will be a simple "me" page with about 20 pieces of
information, followed next by the houses and probably after that a
customizable dynamic front page.

--Todd