 General / 5423
Re: take a piece, leave a piece -- traveling box of LEGO
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 9 Jul 1999 19:41:46 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

I don't believe anyone has started a formal tracking of desire. I know
lots of people informally want in. Improperly handled this can cause a
lot of hard feelings so let's try to do it right. Whatever that means.

In an ideal world, I would like to see a web-interactive page to which I
could go that would pseudo-randomly assign a 'next' recipient.  This
could be completely random, or more interestingly, it could take the
latitude and longitude (or other regional ID scheme) of each participant
and when determining the next participant, weigh people in the system a
little more likely as their proximity to you increases.

Does anyone see a clean way of doing something like that?   I might be
able to muddle through writing it but it would be more valuable as a
part of LUGNET.

should be distributed (i.e.,
starting on the East coast, then Midwest, then Rocky Mtn. states,
then West  coast)?

My sense was a certain amount of intra regional churn per box, but it
makes sense for boxes to rotate regionally too.

How will this be managed?

Is anyone considering 'rules' for participation?  What needs to be
figured out?

How much of the box can I keep when it arrives?
How much should I put back in?
Where do I send it when I'm done?
Will I be signing up to participate in one or all boxes?
Will this be centrally managed at all?
Should there be an agreement made in order to sign up?
Is this going to be a group thing, or is it someone's baby?

What else?

--
Sincerely,

Christopher L. Weeks