 General / 53546
53545  |  53547
Subject:
A challenge to anyone interested
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 9 May 2007 03:22:29 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

I don’t post here on LUGNET all that much anymore, though I lurk a good bit.

Over the years, I’ve seen (as I suspect we’ve all seen) many an eager AFOL happily post a message to share an MOC, only to post a less happy message a few days later when no one has offered even the slightest comment. If the MOC is posted on Brickshelf or Maj, then the poster can naturally see the “views” counter, but it’s somehow more satisfying to read someone’s feedback, even if it’s as simple as “nice job!” or the like. But you know that it’s intensely frustrating to pour your creativity into an MOC only to have it sink into obscurity soon thereafter

So here’s the challenge, for all who check in on LUGNET once per day or so. Each week, find someone’s announcement about an MOC and post a purely positive (but honest) comment about it. Nothing snarky, and nothing back-handed: no posts like “it sucks less than most of your stuff.”

If possible, make it about an MOC with few (if any) comments already posted. This may require a bit of digging, but that’s why it’s a challenge! Poke around in groups that you don’t normally visit. Comment on an MOC by someone with whom you don’t usually get along.

I got the idea after seeing Simon Smith’s HMS Inevitable go without a comment for five months in the Boats group. Simon clearly put a lot of effort into this ship, and it bummed me out that no one had replied.

It’s my thought that this sort of interaction will help boost the ambient friendliness of LUGNET. And at worst, it’ll make someone feel proud of an MOC that they’d thought no one had noticed.

If you don’t step up and say something nice, I’m going to sneak in and replace a goodly fraction of your LEGO collection with Mega Bloks from my stash, and I’ve got enough to do it, so watch out!

Dave!

Don’t forget to check out The Bloks Forum for discussions of all manner of construction toys.