 General / 53452
Re: Polling Top Sellers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 26 Mar 2007 22:14:29 GMT

In lugnet.general, Rafe Donahue wrote:
Labelling things right on the plot is definitely the way to go, if it can be
done without the clutter.

Yeah, the clutter is the hard part. I've been toying with the idea of just
streamlining the data a lot more. Right now, the data is pretty much fully
represented. But as I collect more data, it'll become rather meaningless.
Something that had a jump for a week won't be interesting when you've got a full
year's worth of data, for example.

So I might examine doing an "average for the day" or something, so you can see
things develop on a grander scale.

The other tough thing are the colors. Finding 25 colors that are distinguishable
is, well, tough. And Kjeld help you if you're colorblind!

You might be able to make the graphic bigger so as
to allow more room between,

Right now I've got that configurable horizontally and vertically-- I picked the
present scale because it wasn't TOO big, but it was still legible. It
dynamically gets wider as it acquires more data, so again, at some point I'll
have to cut it off at some sort of maximum width.

or even construct the line out continually
repeating, using really small letters, the name of the item.

That I'll pass on :) Mostly because to do that I'd have to crazy-go-nuts
programming in something that could handle it.

For those that start and stop off the chart, you *could* label them where
they exit or enter, ie, at the bottom!  Maybe tilting the label would allow
them to fit...

Yeah, again, it's really tricky. Putting things at the bottom works sometimes,
but when you get (say) 3 things that enter the top 25 all at the same time, then
the 3 labels would sort of overwrite each other (boooo!). But if only one thing
is entering the graph at that point, it might work...

The thing that would be super-cool (the solution to all life's problems!) would
be to make the graph interactive, rather than a pure image. So if you moused
over a line, you could get it to highlight that line and show you the label. But
I'm not sure how to handle that-- at least not short of doing something that's a
little out of the scope like making a Flash or Java App. I'd be comfortable
doing a Javascript version, but I don't know of anything that exists for dynamic
graphing in JS...

Hmmm.

DaveE