 General / 53450
Re: Polling Top Sellers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 26 Mar 2007 21:18:15 GMT

In lugnet.general, Jonathan Lopes wrote:
In lugnet.general, Rafe Donahue wrote:
* Pick-a-brick shows a big drop and then a rebound.

I am wondering if this is from last week when Lego Factory website was down
for maintenence for a couple of days.

Huh, that must explain it! The thing that dropped off was "My Custom Design"
(which has JUST now creeped back into the ranks!). I didn't know it actually was
offline, but that would make sense given the dropoff.

Though, I am surprised Cafe Corner never hit #1.

Well, keep in mind that it may be number of copies sold-- I wouldn't expect
people are buying scads of copies of Cafe Corner. Things like the Droids Battle
Pack are things where lots of people are buying them, PLUS they're buying lots
of copies each.

* Can you add some sort of date or time identifier on the x axis?  Maybe
just subtle stripes to demarcate days or hours or whathaveyou.

Sure... the plan is to make this into a nice interface, but I figured I'd post
the raw data just for now... You CAN figure out the URL for the dynamically
generated one on my website, but I'm not posting that URL because I don't really
want to bog down the server or anything. But anyway, here's a newer snapshot
with deliniations for the day:

http://www.suave.net/~dave/images/tmp/tps_20070326_1708.png

* Oh, for the ones that drop out of the list, perhaps you could ID them on
the left side of the plot...

Yeah, I'm not sure how to handle that, really. I had thought of just skipping
them all together, but it looked like some big empty voids now and again. And it
works ok to put the name on the left hand side... except when it's something
that came up from the *bottom* and not necessarily the left. So far, the
solution that I've thought of is that I'll try and examine each "white" bar for
a long stretch of uninterrupted movement. If it's got it, it'll label it *right*
there on the graph, and if it doesn't have such a plateau, it won't get
labelled. But who knows how that'll turn out. It might look cluttery or start
getting in the way of the rest of the data. Hard to say.

Right now I'm thinking that I may make it such that you can say "show me what it
was like on day X", or "highlight set Y", or something. Something a little more
configurable. But first, I've got to make it work smoothly.

DaveE