 General / 53451
Re: Polling Top Sellers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 26 Mar 2007 21:48:28 GMT

In lugnet.general, David Eaton wrote:
In lugnet.general, Jonathan Lopes wrote:

want to bog down the server or anything. But anyway, here's a newer snapshot
with deliniations for the day:

http://www.suave.net/~dave/images/tmp/tps_20070326_1708.png

Very, very nice.  I am appreciating your ability to add content without
chartjunk!

* Oh, for the ones that drop out of the list, perhaps you could ID them on
the left side of the plot...

Yeah, I'm not sure how to handle that, really. I had thought of just skipping
them all together, but it looked like some big empty voids now and again. And it
works ok to put the name on the left hand side... except when it's something
that came up from the *bottom* and not necessarily the left. So far, the
solution that I've thought of is that I'll try and examine each "white" bar for
a long stretch of uninterrupted movement. If it's got it, it'll label it *right*
there on the graph, and if it doesn't have such a plateau, it won't get
labelled. But who knows how that'll turn out. It might look cluttery or start
getting in the way of the rest of the data. Hard to say.

Labelling things right on the plot is definitely the way to go, if it can be
done without the clutter.  You might be able to make the graphic bigger so as to
allow more room between, or even construct the line out continually repeating,
using really small letters, the name of the item.

For those that start and stop off the chart, you *could* label them where they
exit or enter, ie, at the bottom!  Maybe tilting the label would allow them to
fit...

Right now I'm thinking that I may make it such that you can say "show me what it
was like on day X", or "highlight set Y", or something. Something a little more
configurable. But first, I've got to make it work smoothly.

This would be most cool and I would love to see it!