 General / 53196
53195  |  53197
Subject:
Best year
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.general, lugnet.town
Date:
Sat, 23 Dec 2006 18:12:31 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Dear Lego,

You've restored my faith in the company.

If you asked me last week, I would have said 1991 was the best year ever for
Lego town.
http://peeron.com/catalogs/1991/medium/23/

But after seeing the new sets, I think 2007 might be better. And that's saying a
lot.

I left my dark ages in 1998 (the beginning of Town Jr.) and found myself very
disappointed with the quality of sets.
http://peeron.com/catalogs/1998/medium/22/

The turnaround in the past ten years is nothing short of incredible. 2004 was a
big improvement with the release of the non-juniorized fire sets. Since then,
we've seen your city lineup steadily improve and the rest of your sets follow.
The summer 2007 sets look simply awesome.

But it's not just the city sets. The new Star Wars lineup show both a
committment to a philosophy of "building" (UCS AT-ST) and a committment to
giving fans what they want (Army builder sets). In particular, the design of the
new Y-Wing and minifig-scaled AT-ST show a remarkable design improvement over
previous years.

The new castle sets look equally impressive over previous years.
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/sam89/2007/castle.jpg

I also like the look and design of the new catalogs. The 2007 catalog photos
seem to be a return to the design of the early 1990 catalogs with the elaborate
scenes that make everyone excited about the sets.

I've noticed that many Lego sets are sold out this Christmas both at
Shop-At-Home and my local toy stores. Most City and Star Wars sets are either
sold out or backordered. Lego shelves have a lot of empty space. I overheard a
store manager telling another shopper (a mom looking for Star Wars sets for her
son) that even his Lego distributor was out of sets and wouldn't have more
before January.

I'm sure the quality of sets has a lot to do with Lego being back at the top of
a lot of Christmas lists.

Thanks for listening. And thanks to the Ambassadors for whatever role they
played in this.

Sincerely,
Steven