 Dear LEGO / 5483
Re: OMG, articulated skeleton arms?!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 29 Dec 2006 23:04:55 GMT

In lugnet.dear-lego, Geoffrey Hyde wrote:

"David Simmons" <xenobuzz@earthlink.net> wrote in message

Wow, I really have been out of the loop.  When was this wondrous change
first
brought to our attention?

Why do those skeleton arms look exactly like mechanical battle droid minifig
arms?  IE part http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=30377

I wonder why TLG would suddenly drop manufacturing of the original skeleton
arms?  http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=6265

It doesn't make any sense to me.

Since when does most of what LEGO does make any sense??  I gave up trying to
make sense out of what they do many years ago.  [1]

The original skeleton arms have some use
in SNOT building techniques - the droid arms don't.

I'm hoping this is just a prototype shot error, and that we're not actually
going to get lumbered with more droid arms than we can shake a minifig hand
at.

I consider the new skelton to be an IMPROVEMENT.

The old floppy, fall-off skelton arms were not very good.  Their only good point
was that they had a true ball joint so you could move them in any direction.
With the switch to droid arms, we have lost movement to now only up and down,
but that is what we have always been limited by with minifigs.

As J-2 says, the droid arms have many uses versus the skelton arms which had
fewer possibilities.  Also, the new skeleton torso might be useful in some wacky
ways, now that it has a bar-thickness shoulder protusion instead of the small
ball joint.

Also, the old skeleton faces (happy or evil grin) were somewhat comical and
whimsical.  This new face looks more sinister and truly evil.  The skeleton face
has "grown up"

Here's the picture again:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/sam89/2007/castle.jpg

.Kevin Salm.
LUCNY

[1]  Yes, I am somewhat cynical when it comes to the LEGO Company.  I always put
things this way:  I LOVE Lego bricks, but I have very little love for the LEGO
company.

.