 Dear LEGO / 5482
Re: OMG, articulated skeleton arms?!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.general, lugnet.town
Date:
Fri, 29 Dec 2006 17:27:58 GMT

In lugnet.dear-lego, Elroy Davis wrote:
   In lugnet.dear-lego, John Neal wrote:
   In lugnet.dear-lego, Geoffrey Hyde wrote:

   I wonder why TLG would suddenly drop manufacturing of the original skeleton arms? http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=6265

It doesn’t make any sense to me. The original skeleton arms have some use in SNOT building techniques - the droid arms don’t.

The answer is clear to me-- saves TLG $$$. Anytime they can eliminate a mold and “shoot two birds with one stone”, it cuts their production costs.

Except in this case, they’d be creating a new mold for the skeleton torso. If I remember correctly, the current skeleton torso has ball for the shoulder to fit the socket of the arm, where the one pictured appears to have a bar attachment for the droid arm.

Ahh, good point.

   My guess would be that the new torso and arm combination allows for more playability. Skeletons could actually hold their weapons up, as opposed to just having them held in dangling arms.

Another good point. So, they retire the old arm mold and create a new one, reuse the droid arm and things come out more or less even. And that’s with added playability. Sounds like a good business plan to me.

   Either way, I’m good. I build with whatever they sell to me.

As long as they stay in business, we’re in business:-)

JOHN