 General / 51737
Re: 1955 'idea book' Byggebog, translation help needed
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 20 Sep 2005 00:36:27 GMT

In lugnet.general, David Shifflett wrote:
I recently received a 28 page 'idea book' with the word
Byggebog on the cover.
I am told 'Byggebog' means "building book" or "manual for constructions"

The book doesn't have any date on it,
but, according to Gary Istok, it dates from 1955
when the slotted bricks,
and windows/doors with wings to fit into the slots,
were being produced.

I would love it if someone could translate the
text in the book for me.

The book can be viewed here
http://www.redshift.com/~shifflett/lego/mursten_byggebog/mursten_byggebog.html

Hi Dave,

I'm of absolutely no use in helping translate, but I just had to say thank you
for posting this wonderful bit of history.

The artwork (as much as the bricks) is what I really love about the pre-1970s
LEGO ads and package inserts/instructions.  In the one you've posted I
especially love the drawn characters such as the woman in the bottom right
corner of image #8 and the family in the top right corner of image #9.  Those
and all of the other art in these pages just evoke such nostaglic feelings.

And look at the parts 'catalog' in image #1.  How can you not love that?  I only
wish that the macaroni bricks (in both sizes shown there) were common once
again. And every time I see one I long for the return of the 4x4 corner brick. I
have a couple of old ones, but I'd just love to have some modern ABS ones to use
in models today.

Thanks again for posting this fantatic little booklet. It really made my day to
see it.

Best regards,
Allan B.