 General / 51014
Re: Musings on an open-source Brickshelf replacement
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 8 Jun 2005 02:14:48 GMT

In lugnet.general, Joe Strout wrote: (snip)

Anyway, on to option 2...

2. A web server, perhaps hosted someplace like SourceForge where administration tasks are easily shared and transferred as needed. Users would browse and update via the Web, as they do with Brickshelf. Except that, I don’t think we can make this work as an open-source effort unless the actual images are not stored on the server -- that’s just too much bandwidth to pay for, in a model where nobody gets paid. So, the images would have to be stored elsewhere, hither and yon, and this server would just act as a central indexer.

This is probably easier than option 1, at least in some ways. The main problem is that it’s more work to upload or update your stuff; first you have to find your own host for your images, and upload them there, and then update the central index with the appropriate URL, description, and keywords.

This approach is also subject to server overload -- such as what is apparently causing mocpages.com to be unreachable right now. :) The peer-to-peer network of option 1 is much less susceptible to that.

Just some thoughts... any comments?

Best,
- Joe

Simply put,

LEGOFan has actually been thinking about a tagging resource that very much resembles what you have described in #2 and would be happy to host a central index.

Joe Meno
Media Contact
LEGOFan.org