 General / 51008
Re: Musings on an open-source Brickshelf replacement
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 7 Jun 2005 21:11:31 GMT

In lugnet.general, David Eaton wrote:

   I definitely like the idea, although I would encourage it to be more generic than “lego-specific”. Something that other online groups could use for sharing images, etc., if they so wanted.

I suppose, but in that direction lies scope creep, which can kill an open-source project deader than just about anything else.

   A couple issues I can think of: - If an owner of an image decides to remove something for some reason (or is forced to due to copyright violation), there’s now no way of removing it. Ditto moderated content. You couldn’t just remove the files from people’s caches (if built on the principles as gnutella, etc).

A good point. As for moderation, I was thinking that we could build in a sort of rating system, with the tyical 1-5 stars, *plus* two more choices: “off-topic” and “blatantly inappropriate”. These would be aggregated and users could choose to ignore anything marked off-topic or inappropriate by a certain percentage of viewers. That should discourage abuses of the system, though couldn’t completely eliminate it.

I also assume that each image is tagged with the poster, along with description, keywords, upload date, etc. So maybe we could have a way for the original poster to “recall” an image, and this recall would propagate through the system, much like cancelling a post in NNTP.

  1. Dunno how much it would help. The majority of traffic (I’d think) would be web
  2. ensure that data wouldn’t
  3. people

Well yes, that’s the whole idea. I’d propose writing the viewer in REALbasic, which is easy and powerful, and can compile directly for MacOS, Windows, and Linux with a native UI on each.

   2. ... So, the images would have to be stored elsewhere, hither and yon, and this server would just act as a central indexer.

Isn’t that effectively MOCPages?

Maybe. I don’t know much about it either, and when I tried to check it out today it wasn’t available. (And still isn’t now, I see.) I had the vague impression that images are actually stored at MOCPages, and that perhaps it’s also feeling the bandwidth strain. But I could be way off there.

   I don’t know much about MOCPages’ interface, since I haven’t actually used it, but ultimately, I think something like that might be useful, only more robust. At present MOCPages (when available) is kinda pokey, and I think there’s lots of unused features that might be dragging it down. Like checking overall ranking, other MOC’s by that user, user comments, etc. Stuff that *could* be optional for the owner in order to streamline the page.

Yes, perhaps so. But is it open-source? If the maintainer of MOCPages should get trapped under something heavy, can the site carry on?

   I kinda wonder if you could combine the two. Here’s about the limit of my techhy-ness:

Effectively, have an indexer site where you can upload/download with ease. With each upload/download of an image, it offloads them onto the BrickTella network (there would be ways of ensuring that when something is uploaded via the site that it is *pushed* to certain client servers who have flagged themselves as “bigger” storehouses or something).

Then, requests to the site simply get deferred to the network. When a request comes into the central webserver, it looks up a place on the network where the data is currently being hosted, and spits out a redirect. Each BrickTella client has the option to run as a very limited webserver on a reserved port. Hence, a request for:

http://www.brickpics.org/users/joeblow/vignettes/ihaveabadfeelingaboutthis.jpg

Turns into: http://123.45.67.89:7360/users/joeblow/vignettes/ihaveabadfeelingaboutthis.jpg And seconds later, turns into: http://98.76.54.32:7360/users/joeblow/vignettes/ihaveabadfeelingaboutthis.jpg

All the indexing information is stored on the main site, but all the actual heavy data is stored elsewhere.

Hmm, that’s a pretty interesting integration. Of course, it’d be more work to develop, requiring both a web server and the BrickTella app. But it’s certainly worth considering.

   Of course, in reality, (all feasibility aside) I dunno if that’d work anyway. It would require a lot of people to turn hosting on, and might cause issues if you’ve only got a few (like 15 people) who’re doing it. Their connections grind to a halt, encouraging them to turn off their web-hosting option.

Yes, it does rather rely on people donating space and bandwidth. There are ways to encourage this -- such as posting the weekly top-ten contributors -- but no way to guarantee it. If there are too many people taking and not enough giving, the system will fail.

   But assuming it started small and had enough willing souls lending space, does that sound feasible?

Yes. And I do like that not everybody has to run the client app -- and the client app doesn’t need much UI. It just talks to the central server, and is only run by people who want to contribute resources to the system. Everybody else, and all image browsing/uploading, just goes through the web.

The cool thing about this approach is, if the system gets slow or starts having periods of unavailability (due to load), you have a clear an effective solution: grab the client and contribute some resources. The central server would always point you to any locally-stored resources first, so you’d not only be contributing to the common good, but also ensuring that you always have quick response on your own machine.