 General / 50689
Re: Moonbase corridor ideas
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 28 Apr 2005 15:03:44 GMT

Nick Kappatos wrote:

Ground level corridors could be wider, that shouldn't be an issue.  My vote is
for an interior width of 8-12 studs. But I object to any connections above the
current height on the following grounds:

1) building connections higher distracts from anything below it, having the
effect of "drowning out" smaller modules.

I'll have to disagree. Also, this has been part of the standard for some
time. But I do feel for the short modules. I think it's just a matter of
  placing the shorties in a good spot.

2) More brick intensive, therefore bordering on excluding those with smaller
collections.

Well, they can still just build at the normal height. In fact, builders
will be encouraged to on the site. The other levels are kind of like
options.

3) Math is hard.  Let's make cookies for the boys.

Ima try and spell it out best I can on the site. Try. I suck at math too.

4) exponentially more difficult to coordinate, especially if the connectors are
built fixed into into a module ( and aren't on all four sides).

5) Aesthetically, this could lead to modules becoming "boxier" as they go higher
to accomodate commections on more levels.

I dunno, I think it'll all work out.

But,to not be like every other "enthusiast" who seems to be be delurk-n-attack
mode, I offer the following suggestions:

1) Layouts should be no more than 2 modules deep, maybe 3 where super modules
are involved, viewable from both sides. As noticed in previous layouts, people's
work can get lost in the middle. If needed, spurs or t-branches could extend the
layout in another direction.  But the big square is going to swallow some
modules as we grow.  Plus, it's hard to level tables in the middle of a layout.

Great points. If you can walk around the table I think as deep as 4
baseplates is ok. If not, I think 3. A lot of this depends on the tables
and the room available. You don't want it to stretched out but you don't
want it to clumped either.

2) I like the idea of ground corridors - not only for connections, but for
openings into the general moonscape.

3) You rock, Jon. Thanks for your efforts.

-nk

Thanks Nick. I'm tryin'.

--
[ j o n :: p a l m e r ]