 General / 49988
Re: Anyone read Danske Modelbiler?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.loc.dk
Date:
Fri, 14 Jan 2005 03:46:30 GMT

In lugnet.general, Darrell Urbien wrote:
   In lugnet.general, Gerhard R. Istok wrote:

Darrell,

I am not 100% sure, but I think you are describing the 1:43 scale model cars that Lego made in the early to mid 1950’s, BUT they were not part of the LEGO System. The box tops and pictures on the boxes of these cars/trucks do not show buildings made of Lego bricks. These 1:43 cars/trucks are shown in both THE WORLD OF LEGO TOYS and THE ULTIMATE LEGO BOOK books on the page with the 1950’s Lego sets (with KKK on them).

Hi Gary, thanks for the response. I guess I glossed over the scale in my haste to grab another piece of LEGO ephemera.. In the book it does say the scale is approximately 1:40. I’d still love to have some of these, as I’m as much of a gearhead as I am a LEGO geek..

Looking at the page you mention in the ULB really shows the difference in size (the trucks are hauling LEGO bricks). BTW, I also loved the picture in the ULB showing women in the factory praying before work - there’s a whole fleet of these trucks being assembled in that photo!

Danske Modelbiler DOES have a LEGO ad/catalog page that shows a larger scale truck along with something that looks a lot like a LEGO brick garage. These look like the “Automatic Building Bricks.“:

If someone could translate the text of this ad, I’d really appreciate it! Maybe they’re just showing the other products they make other than the trucks; I don’t know.

The 1:87 scale Lego cars/trucks (1955-70) on the otherhand were made expressly for use with Lego brick, namely the Town Plan system.

I suppose I could make the garage out of Duplo then? ;)

   But none of those are a Chevy or a tractor.

Lots of reference to these in the ULB, Gary, thanks - I hadn’t noticed them before, even though I’d had that book for ages. Looks like eBay would be my best bet to find any of this stuff, as it looks very rare (i.e. collectors only) and I’m guessing few sets made it over to the States. (?)

Darrell

Hey Darrell,

Nice advertisement. This is the first time I have seen the 1:43 trucks advertised with Lego bricks. Since this is the mid-1950’s, the bricks were slotted bricks. The Lego windows of that era fit between the slots, not onto the studs like all windows from 1957-present. Because Lego beam bricks came out in 1954, and 1955 was the first year Lego produced the 1:87 cars/trucks as part of the Lego System, I would date your advertisement to 1954-55.

And speaking of the 1:87 cars/trucks, here is an early 1957 German catalog that shows those 1:87 metal wheeled plastic trucks/cars (at the bottom):

http://horst-lehner.mausnet.de/lego/katalog/gk57/GK57-1.JPG

And “Lego Mursten” is Danish for “Lego Bricks”. Until 1958 Lego sets had the word “Lego Bricks” in the various languages of central and northern Europe (Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Germany, Netherlands, Belgium, Switzerland and Austria). Starting in 1958 Lego boxes eliminated the use of local languages, and all sets used the universal “Lego System”.

Gary Istok