 General / 49317
Re: Jake Chat II - Transcript
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 19 Oct 2004 18:26:00 GMT

   Sometimes I honestly wonder if doing chats and Q&As like this actually creates more problems than solutions. Perhaps these types of sessions should only be done with pre-submitted questions so I can find out the full, final answers before speaking out of turn about them.

Thoughts?

Jake

Hi Jake!

I believe a chat has a strong appeal due to it’s interactive nature, and people like to be able to have a conversation with somebody in a position like yours. However, while reading the posts in this thread and reflecting on the chat, I was thinking the best question that could have possibly been asked would be, “Jake, could you ask around and get us official answers to the questions you were not sure about in the chat?”

So, yes, I believe pre-submitted questions certainly have their merit. In fact, I think it would be great if the community could somehow compile a list containing N number of questions, submit it to you, and get answers after a few weeks or however long it takes.

That doesn’t mean I think you should not also chat sometimes, but you probably need to put more emphasis on the “I don’t know, this is an unofficial response” bit. Maybe somebody can create a clever acronym for that.

I’m done talking now, bye!