 General / 49312
Re: Jake Chat II - Transcript
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.lego
Date:
Tue, 19 Oct 2004 17:23:59 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.general, Dave Schuler wrote:

   Was this question about a variation in regular yellow, or about the change in light yellow (as noted here and here)?

I read it as regular yellow, not the light yellow. Light yellow could have been one of the pastel colors that was modified. I’ll check on this.

   This baffles me. Hasn’t the color-consistency of LEGO been praised as one of the factors setting it above its competitor clone brands? And now we have more or less official confirmation that color-variance is expected and (presumably) acceptable? What happened to quality control? And if LEGO forfeits its vaunted color purity, what’s left?

OK, to clarify: What I’m saying is not that our quality control has gone out the window. The point I was trying to make was that plastic molding technology isn’t a 100% accurate science. NO manufacturer producing plastic products has ever produced thousands of products that have EXACTLY the same plastic coloration. Due to all the things I pointed out in the chat and more, plastics simply aren’t exactly 100% the same color from mold shot to mold shot. The goal, of course, is to get them as consistent as possible.

This isn’t a LEGO Company issue, it’s a plastics production processes issue.

Jake
---
Jake McKee
Community Liaison