 General / 49313
Re: Jake Chat II - Transcript
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 19 Oct 2004 17:45:07 GMT

In lugnet.general, Thomas Main wrote:

   Clearly, there is some rhyme & reason to set numbering - or at least there was at one time. I find it annoying that Jake often makes pronouncements that do not tightly adhere to the facts or do not consider some important details of the situation.

Not to make a bigger issue of this comment than was meant, but I am going to step in here quickly. Please remember that I’m but one person. I do my level-headed best to get and distribute as much information about “everything LEGO” as I possibly can, but my head can only hold so much, and I can only talk to so many people inside the company. We have offices around the world, we have thousands of people working at the company, and we have many many projects of all varieties. My job is not to know everything, it’s to get you answers when they are needed and pass along insight when I can.

If you review the full text of the chat, please read this part:

sink21 Jojo, I don’t know the answer to that one.
sink21 I personally didn’t even realize this was such a big issue
Jojo OK
sink21 I’m curious now... is this a problem or simply something that you were curious about?
Jojo It’s not much of a problem... I’m still curious.
Jojo Not a problem like colour changes..
sink21 jojo, i think that tradition and set numbers are simply not something thought about together interanally... like using a certain supplier... it’s not a tradition to be protected, just something we’ve done. Let me think on this a bit

I started off saying I didn’t know the answer to the question. I asked if it was a big deal or if Jojo was just curious (in order to determine whether I needed to make a big effort to get this information... from Jojo’s original question, it seemed to be a big deal)

And this is the problem with chat and text based communication mediums... your point is not often communicated like you meant it. I didn’t mean to say in my closing that there was no thought to the set numbering system. Rather that the “tradition”, as Jojo mentioned, wasn’t part of the discussion about set numbering.

Sometimes I honestly wonder if doing chats and Q&As like this actually creates more problems than solutions. Perhaps these types of sessions should only be done with pre-submitted questions so I can find out the full, final answers before speaking out of turn about them.

Thoughts?

Jake
---
Jake McKee