 General / 48832
Re: Glueing old lego
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 28 Aug 2004 21:23:58 GMT

In lugnet.general, Bill Vollbrecht wrote:
The LEGO company feels MEK is too dangerous for employees to use,

Hmm, maybe it has something to do with the fact that it tends to kill your brain
cells if not properly filtered/ventilated?  :D

It doesn't bond nearly as well, and can take up to 24 hours to dry (as
opposed to 1 hour for MEK).

MEK sets in an hour or less (we found that we could often declamp in about
20min), but I believe Oatey Cement, at least, claims 24 hour cure time, and
depending on how large your project is, it could take even longer than that for
it to finish venting trace MEK fumes.  I've glued stuff up on a Friday and still
been able to smell faint traces of MEK stench on the following Monday.  It got
to be such a hassle that for more delicate work (like gluing up a 3/16" flat
butt joint) we just switched over to small Methacrylate tubes.  It's less messy,
faster to apply, has a longer working time, a shorter set time, a much shorter
cure time, and the strength of a joint wasn't affected by the time of year it
was glued up (during the hot summer months, Oatey cleaner evaporates about 2-3
times as fast as it does during the winter, so your glue might be mostly dried
out before you can get the parts aligned and clamped together).