 General / 48828
Re: Glueing old lego
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 28 Aug 2004 16:24:00 GMT

In lugnet.general, Thomas Stangl wrote:
Larry Pieniazek wrote:

In lugnet.general, Thomas Stangl wrote:
MEK - I believe Methyl Ethyl Ketone

I believe the model shop used to use this as well.

Yeah, they use an even nastier mix of MEK and ABS resin.  At least they did when I
toured the Model Shop during one of the BWs.

Yeah the Legoland California Modelshop still uses the MEK/ABS mixture. From what
I have heard, all the other modelshops have switched to the new glue. The LEGO
company feels MEK is too dangerous for employees to use, but some parks have
been slow to change! The new "glue" is GBL (Gamma Buteleyne something...). It
doesn't bond nearly as well, and can take up to 24 hours to dry (as opposed to 1
hour for MEK). It is still toxic, but less so than MEK. And, yes, it is a
controlled substance over here in the US. As was alluded to further up the
chain. I am not sure, but it is either one of the ingredients for Meth
production, or a date-rape drug.

Either way, I agree, it might just be easier to buy the new parts from
Bricklink....

Bill Something or another...

Can't remember... too much MEK in my system.....