 General / 48824
Re: Glueing old lego
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 28 Aug 2004 01:25:51 GMT

In lugnet.general, Huub van Niekerk wrote:
I'm trying to glue some broken parts of 25 years old Lego. The parts are
(amongst others) an ship-compartment (red coloured) and 2 pieces of rails
(blue coloured). Can somebody please tell me what type of glue I should use
for this?

Do you want to be able to use the pieces like they were new?  If so, don't
bother trying to fix them with MEKs.  When you use solvents to weld two pieces
of plastic together, the joint will be very weak and easy to break if you just
touch them together.  In order to get a good strong weld you need to compress
the joint as much as possible so the polymer chains will tangle around each
other, which causes gooey plastic to squeeze out of the joint, which means it'll
be considerably shorter than it was before and won't work with standard stud
spacing.  There is an epoxy called methacrylate that does a decent job of
bonding certain plastics together, but it really needs a large bond surface to
make a strong joint.  3M has some really freaky exotic epoxies these days, and
one of them in particular seems capable of bonding to darn near everything but
liquids and gasses (I've seen a sample stick composed of various types of 1"x1"
materials, from an absurd variety of plastics, including the stuff used to make
milk-jugs, to even a few metals like steel and aluminum).  The downside?  It'll
probably be cheaper and easier to just buy replacement parts