 General / 48445
Re: Your Organizational Genius is Needed...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 13 Jul 2004 15:00:38 GMT

Pat-

I agree with most of the advice, though recommend against 2 of your conclusions:

1.We sort by color after sorting by type.
2.We do not label containers (at least not transparent ones). We've been growing
a sorted collection for 14 years, and have handled all sizes from 0 to the
current 400,000 pieces. We started out putting colored CAD images of parts on
labels on each drawer, but as the collection grew we needed to upsize drawers
for mainstream parts (the smallest drawers continue to be useful for the
exploding number of small elements and colors) and when we finally decided to
replace all the labels, we found we couldn't do it: No solvent we tried would
remove a label that had been in place 6-8 years without ruining the drawer. We
ended up throwing out hundreds of drawers and decided NO MORE LABELS. It's not
too bad: We have a column of 3 5x12 drawer cabinets for each color. The same
part goes in the same position in each cabinet column. We keep basic
(rectangular) bricks and plates in separate roll around cabinets, once cabinet
per color. Overflow goes in see-through rectangular Rubbermaid containers in a
floor stack or in ZIP Lock bags in two spare drawers at the bottom of each basic
brick cabinet. We have a separate array of many hundre small drawers in 2 sizes
for small pieces, which are often sorted horiztontally by color if we have
enough of a particular type.

-Ted