 General / 48238
Re: Need help identifying printed bricks...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 26 Jun 2004 04:55:12 GMT

In lugnet.general, Mark de Kock wrote:
In a batch of old Lego, I found the following printed bricks:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Markassius/Various/automatiek.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Markassius/Various/garage.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Markassius/Various/posterijen.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Markassius/Various/taxis.jpg

I believe the GARAGE is from set 348 as I also found a (broken) garage-floor
with mechanisme for the door.
Can anyone tell me where the other bricks might have come from? I'm very curious
as Peeron could not find any bricks with these prints.

Thanks,
/\/\ark "must look further in the batch" de Kock

Mark,
These printed beams were also included in large 'town plan' sets, including
several variants of the 700 wooden box:
http://guide.lugnet.com/set/700_2
the British-only version 810
http://guide.lugnet.com/set/810_2
and the Samsonite version 725
http://guide.lugnet.com/set/725_3
and probably other larger 'generic' building sets. These sets also had the
garage pieces you mention.

I've seen the languages be inconsistant within sets, too. Many of the above sets
I've seen for sale have a mix of languages on the bricks. It would be hard for
me to identify any specific set just from those few bricks.

I've made a hobby of collecting pictures of all known variants of vintage
printed bricks. Yours are just some of the over 300 versions I've cataloged.
Here's the link to my galleries:
If you haven't used brickshelf, a red name is a folder with more images, a blue
name is a link to a bigger picture. Be sure to look for the 'Next' link in the
lower right hand of larger folders - Brickshelf only shows 48 images per page.

The reason these variants have not yet been added to Peeron, is because I
thought they were of limited use to the inventories. As already discussed,
getting exact inventories for sets from this timeframe would be diffficult, and
adding hundreds of never-inventoried parts to Peeron has other effects. With the
expected increase in interest about vintage parts, I'm sure Peeron will consider
including these.

If you are curious, here's my translation of the bricks:
Automatiek - is a restaurant type place with vending machines that serve food. I
have only seen that brick in that specific language. I believe it is equivalent
to the American/British brick 'Snack Bar' and the German brick 'Wursten'.
Garage - remains the same across many variations
posterijen - Post office
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=19113&n=48
Taxis - Taxi stand
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=19113&n=96

Your posterijen brick appears to be a variant I don't have pictured. With your
permission, I'd like to add it to my gallery. Please let me know if I may be of
any further assistance.

Hope that helps,
Clark

Visit my Vintage Parts pages, submissions always welcome:

Isodomos.com - marking the difference in Lego parts.
http://www.isodomos.com