 General / 48236
Re: Need help identifying printed bricks...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 25 Jun 2004 23:42:27 GMT

In lugnet.general, Gerhard R. Istok wrote:
In lugnet.general, Mark de Kock wrote:
In a batch of old Lego, I found the following printed bricks:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Markassius/Various/automatiek.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Markassius/Various/garage.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Markassius/Various/posterijen.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Markassius/Various/taxis.jpg

I believe the GARAGE is from set 348 as I also found a (broken) garage-floor
with mechanisme for the door.
Can anyone tell me where the other bricks might have come from? I'm very curious
as Peeron could not find any bricks with these prints.

Thanks,
/\/\ark "must look further in the batch" de Kock

Mark,

Here is your answer...... parts pack #226, which was sold from 1957-65 in Europe
and USA/Canada.  This parts pack came in many different languages.  The Lugnet
database shows the Italian series.  I am not sure, but yours could possibly be
Dutch/Flemish?  This parts pack came out in 1957 with 8 named beams.  In 1958
the count was reduced to 7 named beams.

Lego 1x6 and 1x8 named beams (and regular ones) had no posts underneath before
1964-65.  After 1964-65 all named beams have posts underneath, which prevents
your GARAGE sign from being from the #348 Garage Set (1972-73).

Check Lugnet.general "History of Lego by Gary Istok" section for more details
under "Named Bricks".  This discussion gets even more detailed in my new Lego
CD/book out later this year.  I plan on giving Peeron permission to add any new
(old) parts listed on my CD to the Peeron database.

Gary Istok

And your garage door/floor mechanism......

If it is white, then it comes from either parts packs #235 or #236 (only #236
has the named GARAGE beam that goes with it).... although come to think of it,
the #235 and #236 series of sets continued until 1972, but with a gray garage
floor/door mechanism after 1965.  If the garage parts are gray, check the #235
and #248 Lugnet database entries to see which one it more closely matches.

Gary Istok