 General / 48010
48009  |  48011
Subject:
Going to Legoland with Binoculars...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 9 Jun 2004 19:26:58 GMT

Yesterday I was looking at a Lego Shop At Home catalog, and I noticed that the
2x2 windows were still available in white in bulk packs of 25.  I was wondering
why these were still here.  And then I realized that this window is still used
in Legoland Miniland buildings. In "The World of Lego Toys" book on page 142
there are a lot of medieval buildings that use these 2x2 windows in white.  But
that begs the question: are the 3x2 and 4x2 classic windows used in any of the
Miniland buildings?  Someone who is visiting one of the Legolands in the near
future could check this out with a pair of binoculars.

When the remake of the #398 U.S.S. Constellation came out last year, the 14 1x1
yellow windows found in the 1978 original were replaced with the 1x1 "pigeon
hole" bricks (a small round opening on one side).  This immediately told me that
TLG has retired the 1x1 window molds (and probably the other small windows,
namely the 1x2 and 2x1 windows).

But if any 3x2 or 4x2 windows can be found in any Miniland buildings (probably
in white), then that means that those molds are not destroyed.

If the 4x2 and 3x2 molds are still in working order then imagine this.....

The old 1974 London Bus set (#384/#760) was in my opinion one of the most
wonderful sets ever produced.  It had 22 windows in 4x2 (10), 3x2 (11) and 2x2
(1).  Can you imagine if Lego were to release this again, but offer it in more
colors than just red?  Think yellow, blue, black or light gray!  As well as the
normal red and even white!  This set also had (2) 2x2 inside corner sloped
bricks and (4) outside corner sloped bricks.  Imagine getting your hands on some
of these in white, blue, yellow or gray!!!

I was very fortunate to have purchased a closeout of these London Bus sets, and
lets just say I got 840 extra classic windows in these sets.

The parts that are no longer produced in these sets can be easily substituted
with other parts.  The small spoked wheels can be replaced with modern
equivalents, the 2 special "T" plates for the undercarriage can be recreated
using regular plates.  And the 2 1x1 round windows that make up the headlights
can be replaced with 2 "pigeon hole" bricks that were used in the reissue of the
U.S.S. Constellation set.

As for the sticker sheets, if TLG doesn't have any to make duplicates from, then
they can get an extra copy from me.

So if anyone is going to a Legoland park, please report back to LUGNET on your
binocular search!

Thanks,
Gary Istok