 General / 47523
Re: Announcing new Legend!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.lego
Date:
Fri, 7 May 2004 23:52:44 GMT

In lugnet.general, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
   In lugnet.general, Paulo Renato wrote:
   In lugnet.lego.announce, Jake McKee wrote:
   Taking a break from reading the 250+ color change posts, I just got the green light to announce a new Legend!

And it’s ....drum roll please....

5541 - Model Team Hot Rod!

Hi Jake,

By “legend” you mean it will appear on the same true colors as the first, right? If not, I don’t see the point of “legends” anymore, nor i do find the word “legend” suitable.

see

    4554 Metro Station
564 elements, 8 figures, US$72, 1992
LEGO > SYSTEM > Trains > 9v > Buildings

and then see

    2150 Train Station
564 elements, 8 figures, US$73, 1996
LEGO > SYSTEM > Trains > 9v > Buildings

and tell me that a different color, in and of itself, makes a set somehow undesirable. I have both 4554 and 2150 and I like them both.

Yes, i agree, both of them are very desirable. But they are different sets. And if they made one in *universal* tan surely i would get one too :-)

Now, seriously, and with all due respect, i think you missed my point. English is not my native tongue so it’s not so easy for me to explain what is in my mind, but i’ll try.

When i hear the word “legend” i think it of a chance to people who never had the oportunity to have it before, going to have it now. This goes for parts as well. When i heard that the USS Constelation was to be rereleased i was very happy. Mostly because of the old 1x1 yellow windows. Imagine my shock when all that i had was washing machines (brick 1x1 with headlight)!...

So, what i’m trying to say is that, by definition, a rerelease should be the *same* as the original model. If it is not, it simply shouldn’t be called “rerelease of a legend”.

You say (in another post, i think) that you’ll pick up rereleases of legends nevermind colors are old or new. Ok, this is almost a metaphysical question: Is it better TLG releasing some (pseudo-)legends or not releasing them at all? Of course i’ll go with the first option (even if i’m not buying them, i’ll go with what’s best for comunity). But as i meant before, i don’t see them as legends being rereleased but rather new sets.

Now, imagine that you are a classic space fan (i’m not, by the way, i’m just trying to put myself in other people shoes) and you have all the classic sets except one. Imagine TLG would rerelease that very one as a legend. Wouldn’t you feel a bit sad for being so close to complete your collection, and yet...? Wouldn’t wou feel annoyed that a bad decision (color change) prevent you eternally from that? Wouldn’t it bother you sitting the new set among the old ones and pretending the color diferences don’t exist?

A final note. I was sitting in front of my computer reading some posts about the color change when in the sudden i saw Jake’s post and i saw the word “legend”. Believe me that i thought (for more than a second...) that it could be rereleased in old color scheme. Fearing it would be not i asked it naively. I was not being ironic.

Best regards,

Paulo Renato